Silkie thread!

Same here. I mark all my eggs with similar info on each egg as you, with permanent sharpie markers. I bought a variety pack with about 12 different colors, I love them. They are designated as my egg markers ONLY. My family is not allowed to use them lol. I mark separate eggs and separate batches with different colors, comes in especially handy when I am doing staggered hatches.

That's funny because I have the vanity pack, different Colors for the different coops lol

I would end up forgetting the color of marker for each coop...so I would most likely end up painting the coop the color of the marker
gig.gif

Any guess on the gender of these 2 Silkie Chicks. Hatched the around beginning of September. I'm kind of thinking the Black on is a Rooster because its way bigger then the Blue Splash. Also has a bigger comb.

Blue Splash

Black? Starting to get Silver feathers coming in on the neck.

Any guess on the gender of these 2 Silkie Chicks. Hatched the around beginning of September. I'm kind of thinking the Black on is a Rooster because its way bigger then the Blue Splash. Also has a bigger comb. Blue Splash Black? Starting to get Silver feathers coming in on the neck.
My guess would be that the blue is a pullet and the black is a cockerel. I could be wrong though.

You treat the entire flock, 7 days in there drinking water once a month. Very affective. You only need 8cc per gallon of water. If they come down with it or show symptoms then you treat those with 16cc in a gallon of water. Prevents the spreading of the disease threw the eggs and all.

And no you don't need a vet prescription..

It doesn't appear that you do since it's available on Amazon.com.
smile.png

http://www.amazon.com/Denagard-Liqu...=UTF8&qid=1418561695&sr=8-1&keywords=denagard

I can not say I have had any personal experience using Denaguard as I have not had CRD in my flock. But I do tons of reading and I have read a lot on illnesses and if you are sure your dealing with Mycoplasma disease I would hands down get the Denaguard. It's once a month dose to prevent it and from what I have read works amazingly well. It is bitter so you have to sweeten the water to get them to drink it and you don't need a prescription you can buy it on line. There is several threads discussing Denaguard on here I would say it's worth checking it out. And I would give it to the whole flock if that's what your dealing with they all have it. I read a thread where a lady said she breed it out of her flock by using the Denaguard because they didn't get sick and shed the disease to spread it to the new birds. Best of luck very sorry your dealing with CRD.

I will definitely get the Denaguard as I want to keep the 3 hens as symptom-free as possible - especially with two new juvenile hens on order for Spring 2015. Will discuss and let my vet know about the Denaguard when I go in to see him this morning for our Silkie's followup visit. He medically treats birds but he and I are learning much from each other since his clientele are mostly dogs and cats and it thrills him to have our little Silkie as his patient - not too many vets are willing to see chickens and he and his staff are so-o-o good with our little girl - They love how tame and willing she is to go up to them instead of being afraid. Many many thanks to you all!

To Lacrystol: Do you do the Denaguard treatment EVERY month or just during the winter when the CRD seems to flare?

Two of my pullets are fighting like boys. I have never dealt with this before. Anyone else? I have them separated to cool them off. No major damage, just constant flipping each other over. Seven my little gray has a bald spot on the front of her crest and a chip in her beak. Sugar, my little white pullet is the instigator and has no damage. Seven is back in the coop. Sugar is inside with my blind silkie hen. I will put her back out in a little bit, but this is crazy. My 5 boys don't fight. The girls are being terrible.

I will definitely get the Denaguard as I want to keep the 3 hens as symptom-free as possible - especially with two new juvenile hens on order for Spring 2015.  Will discuss and let my vet know about the Denaguard when I go in to see him this morning for our Silkie's followup visit.  He medically treats birds but he and I are learning much from each other since his clientele are mostly dogs and cats and it thrills him to have our little Silkie as his patient - not too many vets are willing to see chickens and he and his staff are so-o-o good with our little girl - They love how tame and willing she is to go up to them instead of being afraid.  Many many thanks to you all!

To Lacrystol:  Do you do the Denaguard treatment EVERY month or just during the winter when the CRD seems to flare?

Here's a good thread for you to read through
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392918/anyone-familiar-with-denagard
From my reading you need to give it every month for five days. Be careful what kinds of medicine you mix with it.

If I have a second Silkie go broody before the eggs under the first Silkie hatch, then I will definitely mark the eggs. I didn't plan to this time as I didn't see a reason as all would have had the same information: 12-14-14 (date laid and set) and BC (coop with rooster BC). However, I ended up setting two eggs from BC's coop and one egg from the the other coop. (Unnamed rooster and hens called "The Young Flock" as a group although they are no longer the youngest. I had not intended to set any eggs from that coop as the hens and the rooster all have the same father, Mr. Milquetoast in my avatar, but a freshly laid egg looked at me and made me do it. Now I will be marking the eggs when I remove the added Silkie eggs today while I still remember that the larger egg is from The Young Flock. :) I should not have much trouble telling the chicks apart, if all hatch, as BC and all but one of his hens are NH.

Last edited:
I will definitely get the Denaguard as I want to keep the 3 hens as symptom-free as possible - especially with two new juvenile hens on order for Spring 2015.  Will discuss and let my vet know about the Denaguard when I go in to see him this morning for our Silkie's followup visit.  He medically treats birds but he and I are learning much from each other since his clientele are mostly dogs and cats and it thrills him to have our little Silkie as his patient - not too many vets are willing to see chickens and he and his staff are so-o-o good with our little girl - They love how tame and willing she is to go up to them instead of being afraid.  Many many thanks to you all!

To Lacrystol:  Do you do the Denaguard treatment EVERY month or just during the winter when the CRD seems to flare?

Do it every month. Set your clock like treat them the 1st day up to 7 days then not again until next month. It's easier to remember that way. It's has proven to protect them with the continued use of it and it's actually spelled denagard. No U in it.

Two of my pullets are fighting like boys. I have never dealt with this before. Anyone else? I have them separated to cool them off. No major damage, just constant flipping each other over. Seven my little gray has a bald spot on the front of her crest and a chip in her beak. Sugar, my little white pullet is the instigator and has no damage. Seven is back in the coop. Sugar is inside with my blind silkie hen. I will put her back out in a little bit, but this is crazy. My 5 boys don't fight. The girls are being terrible.

Sure it's not pecking order? The queen always wins.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom