Silkie thread!

My hen is sitting on eggs I went to collect other eggs and she ran off her eggs will she go back to them
sad.png

If a broody is sitting on eggs in a communal nestbox area a good idea would be to screen off the entrance - for one it will keep her sitting on her eggs and not able to exit, plus it keeps other hens from sitting next to her to lay THEIR eggs! Then take your broody out of her nest 2 or 3x day to eat/drink/dust-bathe/etc. She'll do this fast and go running back to her nest where you can open her screened entrance to let her back in to brood. She gets to be part of her daily surroundings without the other hens bothering her or her getting scared off when the egg collection box is opened. Just a suggestion but you'll get to know your hen behaviors soon enough. Chickens don't get really good at being sitters until they are about 18mo to 2 y/o. Pullets are not usually dedicated broodies.

If a broody is sitting on eggs in a communal nestbox area a good idea would be to screen off the entrance - for one it will keep her sitting on her eggs and not able to exit, plus it keeps other hens from sitting next to her to lay THEIR eggs!  Then take your broody out of her nest 2 or 3x day to eat/drink/dust-bathe/etc.  She'll do this fast and go running back to her nest where you can open her screened entrance to let her back in to brood.  She gets to be part of her daily surroundings without the other hens bothering her or her getting scared off when the egg collection box is opened.  Just a suggestion but you'll get to know your hen behaviors soon enough.  Chickens don't get really good at being sitters until they are about 18mo to 2 y/o.  Pullets are not usually dedicated broodies.
thank you I will do that she's back on I will go do that now that sure worried me ya she's a first time broody she runs other hens away but that gets her worked up

I need your professional help. I am in a debate about this chick. Is it a partridge or a splash. We have 10 little fluffys. This one is very colorful.

Thank you for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom