Silkie thread!

I am also wondering if I wanted to raise show silkies would the weather here affect the feathering like summer is almost here and we have had some temps on my back deck of 110 deg. already would they feather better in a cooler place?

I also assume show chickens do not have grassy rocky or muddy runs, is there a way to keep show chickens without having to cage them 24/7?
Stress is the #1 detractor when it comes to conditioning show chickens. Heat is right up there as one of the big baddies.. My flock have access to shade and cool fresh water at all times. It's been in the 90's here and I live in the PNW!

Out of one hundred and forty silkies, none of mine are shown but I love to raise them as if they were because I'm the one that looks at them 24/7. I let mine out of their respective runs every day onto the barn yard which is grass I keep green and growing. I believe sunshine, fresh air, the best feed you can provide, and a reasonably clean environment are the best things you can do to keep your flock looking tip top. If you want clean and heavy feathering on the feet, then you keep them dry and out of mud. Also, if they give themselves a dust bath outside in wet dirt, forget it. There goes your show feathered body. People that are serious about showing, cage their birds up a month before a show and condition them. Everyone has their own secret methods. I love to play 'show' with some of my best birds. I just love the whole process just for fun. When the day comes to finally take some of my birds to a real show, I'll know how to do it because I practice all the time. Yes. I'm weird like that.

My darling Grandson helping me give treats to the flock in the barn yard.

Quote:
What wonderful advise! clear and not judgie thanks so much for answering my question seriously.
Your yard looks like more fun than Disney World! Cuz I am weird that way too!
My Darling Granddaughter helps me with chicken chores when she is here today we baked corn bread with real corn and some chick crumbles in it for extra protein boost with the weather we are having.
Your grandson looks like a pro! Looks like he is using an empty folgers can, do your roosters go after the red? Mine gets a bit testosterone-ie when he sees the red can I use so Kaylee gets any other color than red or a variation of red. Bean is my roo he is a bantam something or other straight leg but he takes his job seriously and is like a bull with the red cape.

Stress is the #1 detractor when it comes to conditioning show chickens. Heat is right up there as one of the big baddies.. My flock have access to shade and cool fresh water atall times. It's been in the 90's here and I live in the PNW!

Out of one hundred and forty silkies, none of mine are shown but I love to raise them as if they were because I'm the one that looks at them 24/7. I let mine out of their respective runs every day onto the barn yard which is grass I keep green and growing. I believe sunshine, fresh air, the best feed you can provide, and a reasonably clean environment are the best things you can do to keep your flock looking tip top. If you want clean and heavy feathering on the feet, then you keep them dry and out of mud. Also, if they give themselves a dust bath outside in wet dirt, forget it. There goes your show feathered body. People that are serious about showing, cage their birds up a month before a show and condition them. Everyone has their own secret methods. I love to play 'show' with some of my best birds. I just love the whole process just for fun. When the day comes to finally take some of my birds to a real show, I'll know how to do it because I practice all the time. Yes. I'm weird like that.

Wow that's a lot of silkies!
th.gif

Stress is the #1 detractor when it comes to conditioning show chickens. Heat is right up there as one of the big baddies.. My flock have access to shade and cool fresh water at all times. It's been in the 90's here and I live in the PNW!

Mumsy your backyard looks amazing its like my silkie dream come true

I have 2 Silkies, both born in December. The Roo has the most insane comb...is this typical for a Silkie? He can't see out of his right eye because of it and when he tries to eat out of my hand his depth perception or something makes him unable to get the Treat, which makes me sad!
[/URL]

There are some breeds that have dubbed combs to meet show standards. If there are other breeds that get their combs dubbed I don't see why this poor little guy can't have some minor surgery at the vet's office in a clinical humane environment to take off some of that cumbersome appendage if it improves his quality of life. It's just something I would do if I were faced with something that easily corrected. I don't like tying, trimming, or cutting normal growth but this clearly is not normal. GL!

Head shaking can be the result of a few things. If you are feeding mash or anything moist they will shake even after they have removed debris from their beak. Upper respiratory issues , sinus and ear issues and of course cerebral hernia. Vaulted skulls are susceptible to peck injuries and the swelling of the brain can also occur on extremely hot days.
If you suspect peck injury , yes separate.

Only 8 weeks old. Look at that comb & those waddles! He tried to crow last night, too. It was the funniest sound we've ever heard. And here I thought I was going to have to wait months to find out the sex of this one.

Lol

I have one just like him, he crowed by 9 weeks. He is the sweetest boy, My other male is more aggressive.

Chicken Utopia!!!! And if you are weird, I am too. I like the raising "as if" they were show birds. I want them all to feel like they are, whether they look the part or not!

What wonderful advise! clear and not judgie thanks so much for answering my question seriously.
Your yard looks like more fun than Disney World! Cuz I am weird that way too!
My Darling Granddaughter helps me with chicken chores when she is here today we baked corn bread with real corn and some chick crumbles in it for extra protein boost with the weather we are having.
Your grandson looks like a pro! Looks like he is using an empty folgers can, do your roosters go after the red? Mine gets a bit testosterone-ie when he sees the red can I use so Kaylee gets any other color than red or a variation of red. Bean is my roo he is a bantam something or other straight leg but he takes his job seriously and is like a bull with the red cape.

I use an empty Folgers can, and if anything my roosters like to eat out of time when I set it down

Back
Top Bottom