Silkie thread!

My silkie roo's crow is low and loud compared to other chickens I've heard. Maybe it's because his name is Elvis. Luckily, he doesn't crow a lot.

@Fancychooklady... Your birds are flat gorgeous!

Last edited:

Just posting some of my babies. Love the looks of the last hatch for this year.

@Jeansrie one of my favorite girls is blossoming into... a beautiful boy :/ Probably going to do a test mating with him over my little Marauder girl. I ended up with so many boys I had to re-home a couple of them that I was not going to breed from. At this point I am hoping I have at least 2 girls out of the 11.
Argh, I am sorry about so many boys! I am going to try and grow out the chicks I have hatched over the last few weeks, I will let you know if I end up with extra pullets. I wish there was an easier way to tell. I sold quite a few chicks to a couple families in our 4-H group - I don't think one of them ended up being a cockerel, I couldn't believe it!

Does the temperature of the nest determine what gender the chicks would be, just like in reptiles? Idk if anyone has tried that before, but it would be a cool science project. Plus, baby chickens! and if it is ture, people could control incubator tempurature to determine the sex of their chicks

Does the temperature of the nest determine what gender the chicks would be, just like in reptiles? Idk if anyone has tried that before, but it would be a cool science project. Plus, baby chickens! and if it is ture, people could control incubator tempurature to determine the sex of their chicks
Nope, the chickens are whatever gender their chromosomes are. Temperature doesn't effect it.

O wow that's beautiful!! I love the color!!
love.gif
have never seen anything like that, not even if all the pictures I'v seen. Is that a " show worthy color" ? It sure should be.
Now I want a red partridge!!!!
yep I'll go along with that too. My Romeo is not loud but he is screechy.

I have several like that for sale....all cockerels though.

They all came out of a partridge on white breeding.... My old white gals carried it and I picked up some gorgeous partridge boys from a friend in WI. Got a whole load of extra boys and 8 pullets to play with in a breeding pen. Didn't even get pics of the 2 boys I kept for breeding. 1 is more red again and other is the darker chesnut with black chest.

Glad I'm not the only one that has silly silkies that won't come in out of the rain. With it getting colder I worry they will be too cold, but you would think they would know what their bodies need. They hate when I lock them up when it rains. Stopped doing that & just letting them make the decision to go out or not. After everyone gets wet, I towel them off & turn on the heat lamp in the coop for a short while. None seem to be worse for wear.
If they get TOO wet, you cAan always blow dry them. My silkies LOVE it. They will even let us lay them on their backs in a bundle of blankets, and make a nest, and then we just blow dry them on warm from about a foot away. they fall asleep even XD

I did some Nugget photography after he started crowing, so that I'll always remember him once he is sold/traded.
I love this little dude so much, and he had to be a rooster -_- gosh darnit nugget!

this is right before is decided to poop on the pool toy box -_-

his eyes are so beautiful!

he chipped his beak a few days ago, so now he looks like he his sticking his "bottom lip out" *pouting*

wow, he looks EXACTLY like my buff silkie roo Pebbles!

Back
Top Bottom