Silkie thread!

Just a few of my 60 something silkies! LOL!

16879_tighty_whitey_2.jpg

16879_tighty_whitey.jpg

16879_daisy.jpg

16879_new_white_pullet_from_deb_2.jpg

16879_new_white_roo_from_deb.jpg

16879_bobbi_babies_10.jpg
j
16879_bobbi_babies_8.jpg

16879_bobbi_babies_7.jpg

16879_bobbi_babies_1.jpg

16879_black_silkie.jpg

16879_sq_white_silkie_hen_1.jpg

16879_sq_white_silkie_rooster.jpg

16879_new_splash_roo.jpg

16879_new_splash_pullet_3_months.jpg

16879_blue_silkie_roo_2.jpg

16879_new_splash_3.jpg

16879_new_splash_2.jpg

16879_new_white_pullet_from_bren_2.jpg

So beautiful! :love

Three week old "Hi-Top"

aww how cute!

Hi, I am getting my first silkies (they will be day old chick) I plan on raising them up with other chicks (RIRs, etc) when the other chicks get bigger, will they still pick on the silkies?

Hi, I am getting my first silkies (they will be day old chick) I plan on raising them up with other chicks (RIRs, etc) when the other chicks get bigger, will they still pick on the silkies?
I have over 100 chickens who free range together, including 10-ish silkies and I have had no issues in 4 years. My huge Marans roosters protect everyone and I haven't had any picked off by hawks like people sometimes say they do. :)

If they are raised together they are usually okay. If you are getting them from a breeder, especially . Hatchery chicks can be more of a gamble when comes to personality. RIR roosters might be a problem as they grow older.

Last edited:

Hi - I believe there is no definitive answer to your question as everyone's Silkie and LF mixes are different. I had two day-old Silkies that hatched with 6 other LF day-old fowl (2 Marans, 2 Leghorn hybrids, 1 Buff Orp, and an EE. As the LF chicks grew larger and faster than the Silkies they got picked on and were hiding all day from the bigger chicks. They scrambled early in the morning to eat/drink and hid all day and just before roost they scrambled out to eat/drink quickly again. It was stressful for the two little Silkies and we had to remove them from the mix. Everyone's experiences are different and you'll just have to monitor your individual situation. You'll know what will work best for your birds.

ugh help please i got chicks 36 hours ago and ive lost/losing 5. two oegb, 1 oegb, and now two black silkies. one is gasping and acting as if he has wry neck yet he was fine this morning they are now laying here gasping, one chirps but they are both lethargic and getting weaker

ugh help please i got chicks 36 hours ago and ive lost/losing 5. two oegb, 1 oegb, and now two black silkies. one is gasping and acting as if he has wry neck yet he was fine this morning they are now laying here gasping, one chirps but they are both lethargic and getting weaker

Do they have a heat lamp?
Is the heat lamp to close/got for them? Are the to cold?
Set the heat lamp so they get under it or away from it as they feel comfortable.
You can put a little sugar in their water to given them a little energy also.
Hopefully others. Can help you more

Back
Top Bottom