Silkie thread!

Thank you @Sylvester017 I know it can't be replaced but I will the memory's will live on. I brought the rest of them inside because it was colder tonight than it had been so I brought 10 baby chicks inside because it was colder outside and I turned on the heat light and they think it's morning they are hoping out of the cage cause they seen me getting the food so to make them go to sleep and quit chirping I had to put a dark cloth over the top to keep e baby turkeys light from keeping them awake

Ya I will I am only getting another red silkie because my sister liked that one and she has been wanting a buff Orpington so I thought that the red silkie would be at least the color she would want and still the breed I want so she liked that one and then I called the vet asked around on here did what I was told and it died a few minutes after I brought it inside and I am getting a blue because I want to become a npip certified breeder and I want to have the blue to breed with he splash to keep the color correct

What in the world I have a pair of solid black Silkies well I had a baby just hatch from them and it's feet feathers are white

That's weird. I used to raise Persian Cats and the pure white ones would have a black dot of fur on their head. As adults the black disappeared. Maybe your white feet will grow out black?

Can someone explain to me how silkie feathers look as they come in? Does it just stay looking fluffy or are their feathers to start off? Does the fluff just change colors? I got some silkies from a local breeder and so far a few have turned out to be sizzles. This is my first time raising silkies so im not sure how to tell if they are getting their fluff/feathers in. :)

Um there feathers will go from there baby fluff to feathers that are like there baby fluff but then there color can change some depending on the color.there feathers should be pretty much the same as other chicken breeds but they are fluffy like a big ball of hair. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Um there feathers will go from there baby fluff to feathers that are like there baby fluff but then there color can change some depending on the color.there feathers should be pretty much the same as other chicken breeds but they are fluffy like a big ball of hair. I hope this helps.

It does help a bit. I guess I'm just trying to figure out which ones are going to have the fluff. Hoping Adleast one does... :)

My silkie is 6 days old.

i have some 5 weeks old that i am selling. someone contacted me and wants all 3 but said be sure to see if tips of wings are longer than the rest....i have not heard that for silkies for one thing and if it were reliable (i assume she wants girls and trying to determine) everyone would do that and they would cost A LOT more than $8 right? of the 3 i suspect one boy one girl and one?. a couple years ago i sold one at 4mos as a rooster and he is a she! so does the wing thing have any validity?

i have some 5 weeks old that i am selling. someone contacted me and wants all 3 but said be sure to see if tips of wings are longer than the rest....i have not heard that for silkies for one thing and if it were reliable (i assume she wants girls and trying to determine) everyone would do that and they would cost A LOT more than $8 right? of the 3 i suspect one boy one girl and one?. a couple years ago i sold one at 4mos as a rooster and he is a she! so does the wing thing have any validity?
No. Feather sexing only reliably works on breeds specifically bred for that trait. Silkies are not one of those breeds, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom