Silkie thread!

Yes when he starts that the hens are all lined up on the ramp and then the ramp is full so they start flying up to the roost in the run then when ey are all up off the ground he jumps up there and chased a few down and goes after them again.

As others have said, the more time you spend with them the better. I sit on the ground and offer them treats. As with most creatures , they are less intimidated by you once you are down on their level. My chicks walk all over my feet now and it is a challenge to get through the pen without stepping on anyone's toes. When touching or patting them come from under the chest or crop area, most birds don't like being grabbed from above , reminiscent of being clenched by the talons of a hawk perhaps. In time you will have them eating from your hand.
1f60a.png

Yes, I agree getting down to their level could be very beneficial! And yes! When I come in the coop I have to make sure that I don't step on any little chickie toes! And in the winter, just beware when your wearing sweatpants because they love lint! Lol. Chickens are so adorable and to me they make the best pets ever! If my family would allow a few I would love to have house chickens!

Yes, I agree getting down to their level could be very beneficial! And yes! When I come in the coop I have to make sure that I don't step on any little chickie toes! And in the winter, just beware when your wearing sweatpants because they love lint! Lol. Chickens are so adorable and to me they make the best pets ever! If my family would allow a few I would love to have house chickens!

Don't worry i would also but I think it's mean u less you take them outside for a good while during the day so they can do there natural thing and plus they would be laying eggs everywhere so it's an Easter egg hunt everyday. But ya that could be so fun.

Last edited:
Don't worry i would also but I think it's mean u less you take them outside for a good while during the day so they can do there natural thing and plus they would be laying eggs everywhere so it's an Easter egg hunt everyday. But ya that could be so fun.

Oh yes! I definitely know why you mean. I would still provide them with a big coop and let them out to the grass and sunshine during the day. I would mainly want them to come in at night and on stormy rainy days since I'm always so worried about something coming and killing our chickens since we have so many predators. Especially my little bantams. We have lost several chickens to dogs, opossums, snakes and raccoons and I don't ever want to lose another one! I love my precious girls way to much to tolerate them getting killed. A lot of those chickens were killed in broad daylight. Only snakes have managed to get into the coop and run, no matter how safe we try to get it, snakes can fit through everything. I think we have finally got it safe enough now, but I still worry!

Also I was thinking on the lines of a spare room with a little coop house and nest box for when they are inside. So they still would somewhere to perch and lay early morning before I let them out. But my family doesn't want chickens in the house. So, I won't get any little house chickens. =( Man of the house says chickens are for outside only. But I still do sneak a girl in every once in a while for a treat when he's not home, lol.

My silkies have arrived!!! I'm sooo excited! I ordered 5 blue and I believe I got 2 blue, 2 black and one splash. Although there might be 4 blue, they look very similar but two of the blue seem to be just a bit darker than the other 2. So how in the world do you sex silkies?

In the first picture there are 4 non silkie chicks as well.

QUOTE:

H guys.......can anyone tell me what color these babies might be
?

I was thinking silver or Blue Partridge. .....maybe one on left is Silver?

It is hard to tell yet but looks like regular partridge to me. Chipmunk stripes and eyeliner are partridge in my experience and most are grayish when small and grow into the redder shades as they feather out.

Back
Top Bottom