Silkie thread!

1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Yup :p

There are studies indicating that Ivermectin is only useful against mites, the amount required to take care of intestinal worms would kill the bird. Wazine only treats for round worm so best to use a rotational wormer also. Safeguard, levamisole hydrochloride , valbazen or rooster booster products are just a few to choose from.
I would personally use the wazine then 10 - 14 days later follow up with one of the other products.
By giving the follow up dose you will eliminate any hatching larvae also.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract

Thanks for the good information. I was trying to use it as a preventive: Ivermectin to prevent mites and wazine to prevent tapeworms. I was just wondering if I could use them at the same time and/or if either were safe for 1 month old chicks.

Thanks for the good information. I was trying to use it as a preventive: Ivermectin to prevent mites and wazine to prevent tapeworms. I was just wondering if I could use them at the same time and/or if either were safe for 1 month old chicks.

I wouldn't use ivermectin on month old chicks and wazine will not prevent tapeworm . Tapeworm is fairly rare in poultry but products containing praziquantel will. Avitrol plus is a combination of levamisole and praziquantel .

http://forum.thepoultrysite.com/discussion/26652/tapeworms-in-poultry-how-to-identify-and-treat-them

Last edited:
can someone please tell me what to do so I don't have to get rid of roo??? he it now 5months old and keeps attacking people he made my toe bleed and my kids are scared of him!!! its mainly in the morning or when I put my one month old chicks out to sun maybe because they are crying???!! I think he's a frizzle or sizzle what ever you call it!!! he does not bite when you pick him up tho so idk what to do because he can be so sweet!!!! my uncle is a farmer and has normal chickens said when they are mean you have to put them down I don't want to do that!!! he can be so sweet and he's so pretty!!
a

Your uncle is likely correct. There are a few things you can try, though. You can put him in his place by confronting him and holding him down as a dominant rooster would a subordinate. If that works it will only be when you're around. He may still try to flog the children. You don't want to pass on that trait.
Tough choices since your little rooster is just being a rooster.
ETA: if you have a Vet that will do it you can have him caponed if he's young.

Last edited:
can someone please tell me what to do so I don't have to get rid of roo??? he it now 5months old and keeps attacking people he made my toe bleed and my kids are scared of him!!! its mainly in the morning or when I put my one month old chicks out to sun maybe because they are crying???!! I think he's a frizzle or sizzle what ever you call it!!! he does not bite when you pick him up tho so idk what to do because he can be so sweet!!!! my uncle is a farmer and has normal chickens said when they are mean you have to put them down I don't want to do that!!! he can be so sweet and he's so pretty!! a
One of our roosters does this too. He has not hurt anyone though. They tend to be more amped up in the morning when first let out. What we have done and so far it's working quite well is when he starts acting distressed or follows us around we stop, let him calm down then pick him up and carry him for about a half an hour. I pet him and talk soothingly. I also give a few treats. I include the kids. My 10 year old daughter does the same. My 4 year old is to young but he comes and pets him while I hold him and also gives him treats. We have taught the kids that when you are around the roo not to make fast movement as to startle him. That will flare up his protective instincts. This has worked for us. I found this info on a rooster rescue site. It has really saved our butt. As for treats. Purple grapes,corn or peas. Find what he can't resist and have your kids start giving him treats. This should works after a month of consistency. If after a month he is not improving then you have to do what's best for your family and either pen him up or a farmer may be interested. Good luck. You can pm me if you have anymore questions. :)

Something else to keep in mind, that bird is only 5 months old. He's in the midst of a surge of hormones that are telling him he's the man. A lot of my boys do this, around the same age, and once the testosterone levels out, so does their attitude. I think he'll very likely calm down, especially since he's generally well behaved otherwise. Even my mature roos seem to be more "cocky" in the morning, chasing the girls around and being little knuckleheads. Once its out of their system, its sweetness, here's a treat I found for you, business as usual.

I'd give him some time. And don't be afraid to stomp your feet and show him how big you are when he's being ornery. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom