Silkie thread!

What age should my roosters have their full sized walnut combs? I have three boys who are 4 1/2 months old by now, almost 5 months old and their walnut combs don't seem that big. They have the steamer feathers, they have the blue ear's, and two crow but their walnut combs still are so small. They are slightly bigger than the one who I know is a hen but when I see pics of silkie roosters on here they hardly have combs that close in size. Is it just because they are still juvies? Should their comb be full size by 6 months old or more so a year old?

What age should my roosters have their full sized walnut combs? I have three boys who are 4 1/2 months old by now, almost 5 months old and their walnut combs don't seem that big. They have the steamer feathers, they have the blue ear's, and two crow but their walnut combs still are so small. They are slightly bigger than the one who I know is a hen but when I see pics of silkie roosters on here they hardly have combs that close in size. Is it just because they are still juvies? Should their comb be full size by 6 months old or more so a year old?

Mine take 9 months or so before it stops growing.

One hen decided she wasn't going to deal with the mass of peeping. The other started talking to them almost immediately after I put the chicks out there. I have the Ecoglo in there just in case. The chicks used it a bit yesterday before they got the idea that they were supposed to go under the hen. They all spent the night under her. The hen was pancaked flat with 12 of them. They haven't used the brooder at all today, so I'll remove it.

I offered her a treat and she is the good mother and gave it to the chicks.

One hen decided she wasn't going to deal with the mass of peeping. The other started talking to them almost immediately after I put the chicks out there. I have the Ecoglo in there just in case. The chicks used it a bit yesterday before they got the idea that they were supposed to go under the hen. They all spent the night under her. The hen was pancaked flat with 12 of them. They haven't used the brooder at all today, so I'll remove it. I offered her a treat and she is the good mother and gave it to the chicks.
This pic is absolutely darling! *sigh* I miss this sight :/ I can't wait till my silkies go broody.

Back
Top Bottom