Silkie thread!

Thanks. It isn't surprising, I suppose, some of my bantams can do very loud "performances" of their egg song. I was just curious when I saw those cute looking boys, they look so different to the huge roosters at the show.

His name says it all, really. :D

Our little "Trumpet" got his name because of the trumpeter swan sounds he made - Smiles. I only had him a few months but soon realized his crowing was going to eventually get a neighbor complaint. He was such a sweet boy and very active compared to his docile sister which we still have almost 7 years later. She's not doing so well right now recuperating from dry pox but she's still eating well so vet has high hopes for her recovery - hope his prognosis is correct. Got some pics of her with our molting Cuckoo Breda's feather stuck in her "hair" and walking around with our sweet Black Silkie hen that sadly was put down because of a bleeding tumor in August.
DSCN8266.JPG
DSCN8268.JPG
DSCN8269.JPG
DSCN8270.JPG

I have a dilemma I had a blue silkie chick hatch one week ago none of my hen would claim and it gets very cold here.. My blue rooster is in the sick pen because he is healing from trying to save a hen from a bold eagle. He has be sitting on and caring for the chick for this long even teaching it to eat.. does anyone think I will run into problem? The baby really made him take a turn for the better!

I have a dilemma I had a blue silkie chick hatch one week ago none of my hen would claim and it gets very cold here.. My blue rooster is in the sick pen because he is healing from trying to save a hen from a bold eagle. He has be sitting on and caring for the chick for this long even teaching it to eat.. does anyone think I will run into problem? The baby really made him take a turn for the better!

Good job for him stepping up and caring for the chick. I think I'd leave them separated until the chick is a bit older.

My roosters often times forget everything when they see a hen.

If it gets too cold, maybe put them in a building where it stays a bit warmer.

My chickens eat polystyrene boxes.... Why?

Something just draws them to it. I wonder if it reflects colors like bugs that we just cant see. They seem to like the texture as well. They just like it no matter how much I scream at them to drop it and chase after them. I try to make sure none is where they can reach it, but hubby isn't always the best when putting it somewhere to wait for trash day.

Good job for him stepping up and caring for the chick. I think I'd leave them separated until the chick is a bit older.

My roosters often times forget everything when they see a hen.

If it gets too cold, maybe put them in a building where it stays a bit warmer.

I don't have anywhere to put the chick because it the only one so if I bring it in the house it just cries! I put my two expert moms bunny and moo in the cage at night to be sure its warm! I cant believe someone would hide a egg to sit on then decide they don't want the baby!

Here's a question: which breeds do Silkies get along with? Someone locally is giving away a 2 year old bantam cochin hen who's stopped laying. I've read that they are docile but I assume this means "with humans". Or is it best to just keep Silkies with Silkies?

I have my two silkies mixed with my entire flock: polish, welsummer, cochin (bantam & full sized), easter egger, golden buff, and lavender orpington. I have a speckled sussex and an ameraucana that free range with this flock but are otherwise kept in a separate coop. They all get along great except one of my silkies doesn't get along with the ameraucana. The ameraucana can be the bully of the flock and the one silkie stands up to her.

Thanks for the answers! My main concern is that I just read here that Silkies can have openings in their skulls and that a couple have been killed by larger/different breed birds pecking their heads. So I didn't want to adopt a bird of a different breed if they won't get along. Mine aren't fully grown yet so I'm guessing they're more likely to have open skulls.

I like the idea of adopting a bird who's definitely a hen, and 2 years isn't that old (I think), Right now I'm still guessing at the sex of my two Silkies. I'm fairly certain my white one is a hen but I'm still unsure about the partridge.

Another thing to keep an eye out is making sure the silkies don't hit their heads on anything. Polish chickens also have the openings in their skulls. I had a polish rooster who was protecting the flock against the lawn mower (All hens safely inside the coop, Rooster was in the run). The rooster was flying all over the place and hit his head and instantly fell over. I hoped it was just a concussion, and I tried to nurse him back to health but after a week and a half of no improvement I put him to rest. He wasn't eating/drinking on his own. He would 'move' on his own, but this consisted of flapping his wings once or twice and then falling over. He never was able to stand on his own. It was really sad.

Back
Top Bottom