Silkie thread!

Babies are fun.
IMG_20190309_212215341.jpg
IMG_20190309_212303857_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190309_212215341.jpg
I

I recently lost my five year old black silkie. She was quite a character and oddly, the top hen in my mixed flock. She was a little bit of a bully and I loved watching her try to take on my bigger birds. I housed her with the larger birds because she was too bossy for my other bantams. I love all my chickens so I did not realize how big a hole she was going to leave in my heart and how much I was going miss watching her run through the yard.

I am desperately looking for two bearded silkie and/or showgirl pullets/hens to ship to Houston, TX. I prefer buff, partridge, gray, blue or black but am open to other colors and project birds (as long as they are fluffy and bearded). I had a really hard time finding my first sexed silkie so I knew this would be tough, but it literally seems impossible. I have emailed every breeder I can find. Can anyone help? Willing to pay a premium price for the right bird.

Hello everyone! New guy to BYC and SIlkies but I already LOOOVE them:love:ya:ya:ya:love so I figured (I hope I am right that this is the best place to do it0 I should post some chick pics of my Silkies from Tractor Supply. I think I know what color they are but anyone got any thoughts? There is a polish in there too (probably) if anyone knows what color it is.

NOTE: all these pics had their white balance equalized so the light in my garage didn't make them look soooo yellow.
Chick #1: Dark smoky gray with a deep gray head.
Dark gray Silkie.jpg
Chick #2: Black? some parts look a bit yellowish but it is mostly very black.
Black Silkie.jpg

Chick #3: Blue? Splash? Lavender? Who knows, it is kind of a pewter/light gray color all over its body except its head which is a good medium gray.
Gray Silkie.jpg

Chick #4: Buff? Maybe possibly (I hope at least one is) white. This pic still makes it look a bit more yellow than it is in the sunlight but not by a whole lot.
Yellow Silkie 1.jpg

Chick #5: Buff? The fluffiest one of them all at the time this picture was taken.
Yellow Silkie 2.jpg

Chick #6: Our polish. My mother thinks it is a buff laced but I think maybe white given how cream it is, looks like our leghorn chicks.
Polish.jpg

I am looking for a Silkie color breeding chart. I saw one somewhere on BYC but I can’t seem to find it. Any help would be much appreciated. :frow
Me too! I find it fascinating and want to know more of how that works.

Hello everyone! New guy to BYC and SIlkies but I already LOOOVE them:love:ya:ya:ya:love so I figured (I hope I am right that this is the best place to do it0 I should post some chick pics of my Silkies from Tractor Supply. I think I know what color they are but anyone got any thoughts? There is a polish in there too (probably) if anyone knows what color it is.

NOTE: all these pics had their white balance equalized so the light in my garage didn't make them look soooo yellow.
Chick #1: Dark smoky gray with a deep gray head.
View attachment 1702718 Chick #2: Black? some parts look a bit yellowish but it is mostly very black.
View attachment 1702720
Chick #3: Blue? Splash? Lavender? Who knows, it is kind of a pewter/light gray color all over its body except its head which is a good medium gray.View attachment 1702723
Chick #4: Buff? Maybe possibly (I hope at least one is) white. This pic still makes it look a bit more yellow than it is in the sunlight but not by a whole lot.View attachment 1702724
Chick #5: Buff? The fluffiest one of them all at the time this picture was taken.View attachment 1702725
Chick #6: Our polish. My mother thinks it is a buff laced but I think maybe white given how cream it is, looks like our leghorn chicks.View attachment 1702726
Me too! I find it fascinating and want to know more of how that works.
The 2 yellow ones will be white, the grey ones will probably be blues, or maybe silvers, (no guarantees). Here is the color chart I was sent :

Black x Black = 100% Black
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Blue x Blue = 50% Blue
25% Black
25% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue
50% Black
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue
50% Splash
Black x Splash = 100% Blue

Hope it helps.

Back