Silkie thread!

I just hatched some chicks, all can be seen in the quoted post below:

:jumpy Here they are! :jumpy

I'm honestly so pleased with these little chicks, more hatched than I expected and they are so adorable.

I didn't know what to expect. It's my first time hatching my own chicks from my own Silkies.

I was a little worried about what my Cockerel would produce. There was no way I'd ever know 100% what genes he was hiding or if he'd even be successful in fertilising eggs.

The only thing I knew which was my main worry that there was a possibility he was hiding the 4 toes gene.

He fathered 6 of these chicks and only one hatched with 4 toes, the rest has 5. I'd only really worry if all his young hatched with 4 toes.

Unfortunately that chicks future won't be for showing or breeding purposes but it will definitely get a good home as a pet for someone.

My current Cockerel will be staying as my breeding male. Despite the 4 toes gene, he has produced some beautiful poofy chicks.

He also managed to produce some bearded chicks! I never knew two non bearded Silkies could produce bearded chicks :confused:

So, here they are!

Booted Bantam x D'Anvers:
(Unsure on the colour at the moment)
View attachment 1847902
View attachment 1847905
View attachment 1847908

Partridge Silkie:
(Not from my Cockerel. Was bred from 2 brown partridge Silkies but the chick looks more silver partridge with flecks of brown?)
View attachment 1847909
View attachment 1847910
View attachment 1847911

White Silkie 1:
(First chick to hatch, has nices toe feathering so far)
View attachment 1847912
View attachment 1847913
View attachment 1847914

White Silkie 2:
(I adore this one...)
View attachment 1847915
View attachment 1847916
View attachment 1847917

White Silkie 3:
View attachment 1847918

White Silkie 4:
(Possibly another keeper...)
View attachment 1847920
View attachment 1847921

White Silkie 5:
(The 4 toed chick, was the last one to hatch, still slightly damp on photo)
View attachment 1847927
View attachment 1847928
View attachment 1847929

White x Gold Silkie:
(Seems to be white with gold back streaks and a blue chest?)
View attachment 1847922
View attachment 1847923
View attachment 1847924
View attachment 1847925
View attachment 1847926

I still have PomPom sitting on 5 Silkie eggs and I've just put my other broody Silkie Audrey onto 4 Silkie eggs!

Anyone got any idea what to expect colour wise as the Gold x White chick grows?

It's currently white with a blue-ish chest and gold streaks on its back.

Here's the chick in question :)

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9840.JPG

IMG_9841.JPG

IMG_9842.JPG

IMG_9843.JPG

Gonna start workin' on Satin Silkies! :D
I have:
Silkies
Cochins
And 1 young silkie/cochin cockerel

What do I need to cross where? How many generations will it take to get "proper" Satin Silkies, if anyone here knows? :pop

It takes dozens generations and lots of hatching/culling. But basically it is taking you best satins from each hatch and breeding back to you best silkies, goal being to breed out defaults that will come with the Cochin like comb, skin color, number of toes etc and increasing beard, crest, and shape. If you are on Facebook there is a silkie and satin chickens with lots of knowledgeable breeders. In my opinion Sherri Minkner has some of the most beautiful satins. She has been breeding them for years and shows them. Her farm page is California country ranch. My satins came from Alabama silkie mama in Lincoln Alabama.

Back
Top Bottom