Silkie thread!

Quote:
Wow. That is an interesting looking bird. Mine is definitely all Silkie type, just not all silkied:idunno

was intended only as an example to show what is a gyandromorph.

I understand. Thank you for the picture I had never seen an example of one before. I will add that to my list of things learned today
wink.png

Wow! I love everyone's pictures! It would be a dream to get Silkies from Bobbi or Alan! I had been on a Silkie Yahoo Group with them and they have some outstanding Silkies! I don't know Laura but she is in great company so I'm sure she has outstanding Silkies too! I haven't been on the group for quite a while, mostly because I haven't had time to be on the computer for so long. I would love to get reaquainted though! I adore my Silkies but mine are from the poultry swap and do not in any way resemble these beautiful show birds!

Quote:
The blue parti chicks I'm getting just occasionally show up in the breeders blue and splash pen, about one in a hundred. What if the parti chicks are bred to each other. Also, I am so interested in the eye-line you mentioned to sex partridge. I've never heard of that! Are you speaking of the line by the eye of the partridge chick that was recently posted?

Partridges need to have both alleles of a gene (eb = 1 allel, eb/eb = 2 alleles, so 2 alleles are 1 gene) since "eb" is recessive on "E" you need always both "eb" alleles together to can express on the outside.
If you have only 1 allel "eb" and the other allel is "E" you become the heterozygous gene "E/eb" which express the Dominant allel "E" = Black phenotype (with possible outbreak of gold or Silver, depending on what the chick is based).
Yes exactely, that "eye-line" on that recently posted photo, = female ;-)

Does that mean if there is no line it is male?

Question...

Do you think a Silkie would make a good therapy animal to visit with at a Nursing Home?

My church goes to a Nursing Home once a week, and I had thought about trying to get one of my Silkies accepted to visit.
But I've been having a hard time (with life, that is!), and I've really slacked on church and my faithfulness.
Now I'm trying to get back into it, and the therapy Silkie thought is back again. I think it could be good for them, as well as myself.

Opinions, please!

Last edited:
Quote:
TY Silver, a lot of great info. I will take pics of the boy/cockeral and post. Dispite his "mixed heritage", he's a very sweet and pretty fellow
smile.png
I've thought about Salmon Silkies (and that's been as far as it's gone) until this guy came along...now I'm REALLY thinking
hide.gif
go ahead and
smack.gif
me, really...Have seen a few project pics, and they are very handsome to me...but so is an excellent blue...the BIRD is what I look at, not just it's 'color'
wink.png

Do you have a pic of your Salmon cock, & is he a crossbred or pure silkie, asking because I see you also breed Faverolles?

Quote:
Hey Kara, you know THE Bobbi ??

Doesn't everyone? (Well, all Silkie People, lol)

X2 I think almost all silkie people have SOME of her bloodline!

sager:)silkies :

is it possible to get splash silkies by breeding partridge male with a white hen.

if both have blue genes - yes. BUT partridge shouldn't carry it and white you never know what it is masking under the white. So it is very improbable. To get splash you need splash x splash, splash X blue or Blue X blue​

Back
Top Bottom