Silkie thread!

I know the question was asked to Suze but maybe my vision on this can help also.

Buffs are a little a difficult to explain coloration on Silkies !
There genotype should be : "eWh/eWH Co/Co s+/- Mh/Mh Di/Di" BUT the buff phenotype is not fully explained by the known genes
Every gene can be unpure (heterozigous) instead of pure (homozygous). More genes can be in the genetic-code than needed (as the Blue "Bl/bl+").
Buff is also possible on "eb/eb" (Asiatic partridge) instead of "eWh/eWh" (wheaten).
Dun allele is mostly NOT present in the genotype but can be used to hide black feathers. Also buff may or may not contain Db that would make it more dominant in crosses.

Last edited:
Quote:
TY Silver, a lot of great info. I will take pics of the boy/cockeral and post. Dispite his "mixed heritage", he's a very sweet and pretty fellow
smile.png
I've thought about Salmon Silkies (and that's been as far as it's gone) until this guy came along...now I'm REALLY thinking
hide.gif
go ahead and
smack.gif
me, really...Have seen a few project pics, and they are very handsome to me...but so is an excellent blue...the BIRD is what I look at, not just it's 'color'
wink.png

Last edited:
I have a question regarding Silkie and non-Silkie feathering in the same bird. I have a young bird-maybe 3 or 4 months old, out of two normal silkie feathered Silkie parents. It has a silkied crest and one half silkied body. The other half is non silkied, normal feathered.
idunno.gif
Almost as if the right and left half were two separate birds.
I know that it would be helpful if I posted pictures, but it has been raining and I don't have any good ones(I'm working on it, I promise:oops:) What happened? Does this happen a lot? How do I prevent it? The parent birds are from different sources and non-related to my knowledge.
Thank you for any assistance/advice.

Quote:
It's a fluke of fertilization and very early embryo development called mosiacism or gyandromorph. I'll have to go look up the exact differences. It seems to be a reasonably common rarity. A couple of years ago there was a half frizzled bird at our state fair: frizzled on one side of the body and not frizzled on the other. I've even seen photos of birds that looked male on one half and female on the other.

If you had not mentioned the distinct split between one side of the body and the other, I would have said it was simply unusual expression of the silkie gene. My understanding is that for any silkie feathers to appear, the bird must be h/h, but even with h/h birds you can get the occasional one who has many non-silkied feathers, with only a few, localized areas of silkie feathering.

Quote:
It's a fluke of fertilization and very early embryo development called mosiacism or gyandromorph. I'll have to go look up the exact differences. It seems to be a reasonably common rarity. A couple of years ago there was a half frizzled bird at our state fair: frizzled on one side of the body and not frizzled on the other. I've even seen photos of birds that looked male on one half and female on the other.

If you had not mentioned the distinct split between one side of the body and the other, I would have said it was simply unusual expression of the silkie gene. My understanding is that for any silkie feathers to appear, the bird must be h/h, but even with h/h birds you can get the occasional one who has many non-silkied feathers, with only a few, localized areas of silkie feathering.

This is a gyandromorph (half female/half male) :
34531049.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

Thank you Sonoran:) I will try to get pictures up later this week.

Quote:

This is a gyandromorph (half male/half female) :
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5185/34531049.jpg

Wow. That is an interesting looking bird. Mine is definitely all Silkie type, just not all silkied:idunno

Quote:
TY Silver, a lot of great info. I will take pics of the boy/cockeral and post. Dispite his "mixed heritage", he's a very sweet and pretty fellow
smile.png
I've thought about Salmon Silkies (and that's been as far as it's gone) until this guy came along...now I'm REALLY thinking
hide.gif
go ahead and
smack.gif
me, really...Have seen a few project pics, and they are very handsome to me...but so is an excellent blue...the BIRD is what I look at, not just it's 'color'
wink.png

Exact, a bird is not only it's color, it's only a very little part of the totality of genetics but it is very interesting to can understand how color-genes "work", and that is what I try to understand and explain.

Back
Top Bottom