Silkie thread!

Thanks! That is what I am thinking. He came out of a mixed pens. I have even younger ones that seem like they will be the same color as him. I am liking him though. I can't wait to see how he looks all grown up!

Well, that would make two of us, lol!!

It really isn't working, that is the thing. I feel like I need at least one more coop, if not more. I have two roos that have to be separate and I need somewhere for my grow outs. I am acutally considering a shed that I could divide up in to several runs, although that won't solve the outside issue. And I love your under the deck coop. We are renting, or I would SO do that!

What do you have in the run of your coop? I have sand and I just hate it! It sticks to everything!

Also, how big are your runs for how many birds?
My under deck run is 10 feet long by 3.5ft. My dog kennel run is 12 feet long by 10 feet wide and 6 foot high. A friend of mine has a really neat set up for her breeding trios, etc and she has their runs inside her large run. But her large run is HUGE-- like probably your entire backyard. But you could still do what she is doing-- she is using these dog houses she bought at the farm store and then set up little runs off of each one. It is fairly portable, because the little runs are not permanently attached-- they sort of look like your "box" you made with a top. She made them out of pallets and they are all the same size and the whole thing is really cute looking. I wish I had a picture, I was just at her house the other day and was kicking myself for not taking a pic. Anyway, that might work? I am building little hutches and putting runs off of them. Here is a couple of pictures-- neither of them are finished in these pictures, I need to get out and take new ones, because they are done now. But this will just give you a general idea and maybe might spark an idea of your own!
900x900px-LL-6fcc9494_IMG_3534.jpeg

900x900px-LL-ba0a1c14_IMG_6017.jpeg

Well, that would make two of us, lol!!

It really isn't working, that is the thing. I feel like I need at least one more coop, if not more. I have two roos that have to be separate and I need somewhere for my grow outs. I am acutally considering a shed that I could divide up in to several runs, although that won't solve the outside issue. And I love your under the deck coop. We are renting, or I would SO do that!

What do you have in the run of your coop? I have sand and I just hate it! It sticks to everything!

Also, how big are your runs for how many birds?

Try using mulch (not the dyed red or black stuff though) or fresh woodchips from a tree service or something for run floors. Coops/houses I use a tad of sand to deter mites and then shavings and pine needles for the bedding.

God help me! I bought more silkies today. Two little sweeties. One is beige with smudges of orange on it's shoulders. The other is gun metal grey, brown shoulders and silver belly. My daughter also got a little Polish crested. I'll post pics in the morning when I've got good lighting.

Ok fellow silkie lovers, question.....How do I get my silkie hen, Lovey, to go into the hen house with the rest of the flock every evening? Here's the story: I let my hens out to free range every evening when I get home at 6. Around dusk they all begin gathering near the coop, and start the procession inside to the roost. Not Lovey, she goes to the other side of the hen house (outside the coop/run) and jumps up on the roof to the nest boxes and settles in. The first time this happened I didn't see her, it was already dark and she is black, when I got up the next morning to let the girls out, she was already out clucking and scratching happily in the yard near the hen house. Even the 9 week old babies go into their little house at dusk, why won't she? How do I get her to?
hu.gif
I'm lost!!

Back
Top Bottom