Silkie thread!

[COLOR=800000]Figured I'd share my morning pictures with the group here :) 

Here is BuckWheat and Chocolate
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]

[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800000] Blueberry[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]Titus, BuckWheat, Pudding, and Penny[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]Chocolate[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]Titus[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]And of course had to take a picture of my Sherbert! [/COLOR]

Love the shot of titus buck wheat pudding and penny....
My o my sherbert is so handsome.

[COLOR=800000]Figured I'd share my morning pictures with the group here :) 

Here is BuckWheat and Chocolate
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]

[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800000] Blueberry[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]Titus, BuckWheat, Pudding, and Penny[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]Chocolate[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]Titus[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]And of course had to take a picture of my Sherbert! [/COLOR]
They are all gorgeous! I love Sherbert! Wow

No, they weren't shipped. I'm fortunate enough to live close to an excellent breeder. Plus, I'm way too cheap to take a chance on shipped eggs! They rode about 45 minutes in the car, so I figured them resting while the bator is warming would be good enough. Should I let them sit a little longer?
WHERE IS YOUR BREEDER ? are they off 81 or 95? I want day old chicks do they sell them i do not have a incubator.

OH hey, I remember you!! You were wanting silkies last year, I think. I'm glad you are getting an incubator and going to hatch your own! That will be fun! I don't know about the garry farm. Probably someone else knows more about them than I do. If they have a website or other people have pictures of grown birds from their eggs-- I would check into that if I were you. I've only bought eggs from people where I can see the offspring from those eggs. The quality will depend on how good their background and genetics are and how well you incubate them. Even if working with really super birds, you won't always get super chicks. But you should get birds with less faults and are pretty decent if you start with decent parents. I'm assuming these are along the lines of being pretty decent. I don't use a hovabator, but I know a lot of people do. There is a thread here dedicated to them. You could check it out and ask people who use them. I would stick with an incubator that had forced or circulated air, so if that is an option, get it! An egg turner would be really nice, too. I use a Brinsea Octagon, and it's pretty fool proof, but it costs a bit more. But I'd buy another one in a heart beat now that I've been using mine for a while. Just be sure to get a really good hygrometer that can be calibrated and get a good thermometer. Those are almost more important than the incubator itself! Good luck!!! I hope you have fun hatching! Let us know how it goes!
yeah that was me , something happened and i wasnt able to get some so im trying this year. and thank u for replying to me , would u by any chance have hatching eggs, im looking for some b/b/s and some whites , and i thought about getting the brinsea octagon eco, how good have ur hatches been with that ?

I have got to stop getting on these Silkie pages! All these gorgeous Silkies make me want MORE!
th.gif
I have the same problem! lol I want some in each color.
lau.gif

Last edited:
yeah that was me , something happened and i wasnt able to get some so im trying this year. and thank u for replying to me , would u by any chance have hatching eggs, im looking for some b/b/s and some whites , and i thought about getting the brinsea octagon eco, how good have ur hatches been with that ?
I don't have any hatching eggs. Right now, I'm hatching everything for myself and growing them out. But there are several good breeders that are selling eggs. I love the BBS colors, too. :) I've had excellent hatches with the Brinsea. It holds humidity like you wouldn't believe. It can be completely dry and still run two days with a steady Rh, and it holds temps really well too. You can open the lid, etc and close it back up and it will jump right back up to temp pretty fast. Humidity takes a bit longer, but will stay steady even if you lift the lid quickly. (unless you've been running dry). I notice when I've been running dry , if I open the lid, I lose it all and have to start over by filling channels with water again. But it's no biggie. Just read lots of reviews on both machines, and decide what might work best for you. :)

We have our state fair coming in a bout 6 weeks and I was really hoping to be able to have my DD show but all of our best hens are broody and our 2 rooster arn't in the best of shape from freeranging and getting picked on by the girls..... We have 2 pullets I am considering to have her enter the Jr class with but not sure if i am just wishfully and its pointless to enter or not. We have been to a few shows but they didn't have a large turn out for silkies at the last couple so I am still learning what goes and what other people have. I know the breed standards but I mean more or less about what sort of compitition there is for younger pullets, etc... As far as entering pullets what age is a good age to start showing them? I know obviously under a year but these are immature birds so how well developed should they be?
Below is pictures of the 2 pullets I am thinking? Please keep in mind they have been in a coop with lots of others and freeranging so they aren't perfect but I will be seperating them into cages for the next 6 weeks and giving them limited free range time alone. Also they were not cooperating with the camera and its just my phone and its really crappy.....

Normally she has really good wing placement and her tail is up straiter but she was trying to jump off and I just pushed her chest back before snapping the shot.

What do you think? How well do you think they would do in a Jr. pullet class shown by my daughter? We will not be showing 4h at fair this year as we didn't make it in time but we have until Aug 15th to get the paperwork in for open Jr. classes so I am thinking that would be our best route.....? The black is friendly and does great in a cage while the porcelain needs a little work on socializing.....

You have some real beauties there! I think your splash is a roo too. A couple of your wing photos are not spread quite enough to see well but I'm not seeing anything that I would reject at this age. I personally would not use the single comb since you have such nice birds to use that are good combed. Your photos aren't the best to judge type. Does the splash roo have good feathering on his front toe? Based on what I see I would use them for breeding. As far as showing, someone else will have to help you. :)
Thank you, Peeps. I always like hearing from you.
wink.png
(I hope others will take a look and chime in also.) Do you mind if I ask you about some of your comments?

-I wondered if I was opening the wings correctly. They didn't appreciate it very much and I didn't want to hurt them.
rant.gif
Plus, it was a challenge taking the picture with one hand and trying to open the wing with the other hand. I think they are all OK, though. At some point they were open all the way and looked like a fan -but they would pull it closed before I could get a picture.
-What exactly is "good type"? Are they looking for the 'S' look or something completely different?
hu.gif
(This statement always confuses me a little)
-So, you think the splash is a 'Cleon"? What convinced you that it's a boy? I guess that would be great if both Mysty Blue and BB were pullets. Yes, he does have good feathering to the middle toe. And, I can see where new feathers are growing in also. I just realised, he's the chick that had some peachy toes. Although the toes have darkened to a charcoal color, the toenail is still white (on those particular toes). Is that acceptable or a DQ Do you know if that is genetic to offspring? (I think he was one of the last to hatch and needed help)
-Do you have gender guesses for BB and Mysty Blue? I'm especially on the fence about BB.
-I've heard from a couple breeders that the single comb gene is recessive. But, I'm not sure I want to add that DQ to my breeding flock. It looks like I'm down to a threesome (which is fortunately OK with chickens I think)

celebrate.gif
Do you want to hear something exciting? I'm getting a dozen more b/b/s hatching eggs in September so I have a good feeling that my breeding pen will be just about right by next spring.

Back
Top Bottom