Silkie, what breed? What sex? Is he/she really 6weeks old?

Pics
So I went back today, and was told that frizzle was not actually 7 weeks old. They showed me her sister, basically the non-frizzled version of my frizzle, only she look almost full grown. I forgot to ask how old she was actually since I was so shocked. I started a thread about this in the baby chicks forum, I just hope she’s not a Failure to thrive case :(

So I went back today, and was told that frizzle was not actually 7 weeks old. They showed me her sister, basically the non-frizzled version of my frizzle, only she look almost full grown. I forgot to ask how old she was actually since I was so shocked. I started a thread about this in the baby chicks forum, I just hope she’s not a Failure to thrive case :(
No, failure to thrive doesn't make it past little itty bitty baby sizes. Could just be q smaller or late bloomer. And when they are mixes, sometimes one takes on more genes from one parent than the other. Let me find your post...

ohhh and gueaa what we got today!?!?! Our very first EGGGGGG!!!

Well chicken egg, the parrot actually laid one egg when i brought these big girls home as chicks!! 🤣 but i let her sit on it q while, so it was not edible.

But... it was funny, all 4 girls were making a racket, super excited about the egg today!!
20200929_111455.jpg
20200929_111611.jpg

I MacGyvered a nest today, and fanangled a new roost so there would be more space for everyone too.
20200929_120315.jpg

ohhh and gueaa what we got today!?!?! Our very first EGGGGGG!!!

Well chicken egg, the parrot actually laid one egg when i brought these big girls home as chicks!! 🤣 but i let her sit on it q while, so it was not edible.

But... it was funny, all 4 girls were making a racket, super excited about the egg today!!
View attachment 2353488View attachment 2353490
I MacGyvered a nest today, and fanangled a new roost so there would be more space for everyone too.
View attachment 2353491

oh my gosh! congratulations! How long did it take for them to start laying?

I hope frizzle got the teensy tiny gene and her sister got the giant one 😤

And... I need to show off my new addition today. I wanted to bring 2 more home, but I only ended up bringing one back because they all looked like boys... except for this one... :fl Please help me confirm this! Smooth satin has rejected her old broodmate and mini pecking order rumble was happening this afternoon 😅 I really need to start naming them...

here we go again... are those streamers?

Attachments

• 30CABD88-343F-450E-A4EA-01D7D4780FD6.jpeg
    30CABD88-343F-450E-A4EA-01D7D4780FD6.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 7E25CA9B-C7DD-4CDD-99F1-D5DA0890E875.jpeg
    7E25CA9B-C7DD-4CDD-99F1-D5DA0890E875.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 6
  • E63B2E94-C3D7-488C-B12D-1A94B477A596.jpeg
    E63B2E94-C3D7-488C-B12D-1A94B477A596.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 5
  • CC908ED1-1A9D-4C6E-8A0E-EE416BF620FD.jpeg
    CC908ED1-1A9D-4C6E-8A0E-EE416BF620FD.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 3CAAAD2C-B6E5-48AF-B9D7-C7311F94AC4F.jpeg
    3CAAAD2C-B6E5-48AF-B9D7-C7311F94AC4F.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 6
oh my gosh! congratulations! How long did it take for them to start laying?

I hope frizzle got the teensy tiny gene and her sister got the giant one 😤

And... I need to show off my new addition today. I wanted to bring 2 more home, but I only ended up bringing one back because they all looked like boys... except for this one... :fl Please help me confirm this! Smooth satin has rejected her old broodmate and mini pecking order rumble was happening this afternoon 😅 I really need to start naming them...

here we go again... are those streamers?
So far it looks like a girl to.me... can you take a profile shot of its head? It looks like a nice poofy girl hairdo..but the streamers will be coming out the top/back.

So these 4 are all hatchmates.. and are 22 weeks old.. so far only one egg from my white D'uccle (Daisy Mae).. i think the other D'uccle and one silkie are going to lay soon.. but the other silkie doesn't look as mature just yet.

Here is the first to lay!! Daisy Mae!! With her bestie, Minnie.
20200924_155520.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo. I hate indoor lighting D:

Yay for Daisy Mae! she’s gorgeous 😍 Go start that thread already (before I hack your computer and do it for you!)

I really like the look of beardless silkies, they seem so much more alert and don’t get bothered by a face full of feathers 😤

Attachments

• 9DEE71E3-A5B6-4303-8362-CB526EF166EE.jpeg
    9DEE71E3-A5B6-4303-8362-CB526EF166EE.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 6
Sorry for the bad photo. I hate indoor lighting D:

Yay for Daisy Mae! she’s gorgeous 😍 Go start that thread already (before I hack your computer and do it for you!)

I really like the look of beardless silkies, they seem so much more alert and don’t get bothered by a face full of feathers 😤
Ok.. a combo of the nice poofy crest, no streamers, small comb, and girl stance... im pretty confidently guessing girl! It isn't just the streamers on its head, but males get long, like really long, feathers on their shoulders/saddle area, and im not seeing that. Did they tell you how old it is?

Yea at first i was a little disappointed that hatchery chicks are usually beardless... but their skin actually looks cool.. you can see Nala's face almost has a blue sheen to it. I still like the full feather beard tho.

So nest #2 attempt was a fail.. they knocked it over. I might have to use the jig saw and cut out a spot for a proper nest box... *sigh* but i have so much to do.

Back
Top Bottom