Silkie with an extra toe?

98Luna

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
I had a silkie hatch yesterday, and on its right foot, it has six toes. I have another with its fifth toe pointed a different direction, parallel to its leg. These are not my chickens, I hatched someones else's eggs for them. I'm sure an extra toe won't affect health much, but why does it happen, and how often for silkies?

Its pretty normal for Silkies. If temp was off at some point during incubation it could have caused them to express differently, it could be related to the parents genetics.

It wont bother them at all, and won't be an issue as far as health is concerned. Silkies already have extra toes, sometimes they just get more or less than they're supposed to have :)

Thats relatively common in five toed breeds like Silkies. While you shouldn't show birds like that, it won't affect their ability to be great pets and egg layers.

haha I think it has to do with the genetics. It looks really healthy otherwise though! Thanks for your input.

Yes its common in silkies and won't bother her at all usually. The only issue with a extra toe is you can't show the bird. Other than that it should be just fine. . best wishes.

I just noticed last night, one toe on that foot is half the usual length and bent backwards a little. She walks fine though.

Back
Top Bottom