Silkie wont walk or stand after hawk attack

Olivesmom1

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Carmel Valley, CA
2 days ago we went out to hear one of our girls having a fit. We have had several attacks over the last year from a bobcat,opossum, raccoon, and now hawks. As we ran down we saw the hawk on the ground on our little Silkie. My husband was able to make it fly off. However, the silkie has yet to stand or walk on its own. She is happy, eating, not drinking a lot but drinking a bit. She is content and can move her legs but doesnt. We have her propped up in a box with a towel in the house so she will be warm and comfortable. She sits happily eating every now and then but when we pick her up she stands very tall but if we let her go on her own weight she will just fall over ... She does not appear to have any injuries but obviously something is wrong?!?!

I had one that was attack by a crow as a youngster, and acted like that for 2 days, i think it was in shock. we just kept offering her pedylite to keep her energy up and scramble eggs and anything to encourage her to eat more kept her warm, and she slowly started to improve . She was a silkie to. so just keep up with keeping her hydrated and fed, offer her fresh fruit , mealworms anythign to get her to eat. i used a syringe like you use to give babys liquid meds to drop pedilyte on the end of her beak so she would drink. that way i knew for sure she was gettting enough water in

If it is not injured too bad, then it is in shock. I suggest keeping it indoors for 2-3 days with plenty of food and water inside a pet carrier with no distractions.. The bird should start acting normal again and can be returned to the flock.

She is happier but still completely unable to walk without falling over. She just lays on her side but will drink water and eat ... She is trying every so often to get her legs under her but ends up pushing herself upside down. Since she seems happy other than the inablity to walk or stand we are going to keep her in for a few more days ...

She is now able to stay upright (not laying on her side) though she is very top heavy and keeps laying on her chest. Her legs are getting stronger so she is pushing forward and flipping constantly!

edited- just saw the date- well, maybe this info can help someone....

my suggestion is get some polyvisol liquid vitamin drops for babies without iron, give 2 drops twice a day on the beak for 5 days, i am thinking anemia- she may need other suppliments as well, do a search on wry neck in silkies, here is info from Judy at Three Cedars Silkies - hope it helps

Quote:

Last edited:
She is now able to stay upright (not laying on her side) though she is very top heavy and keeps laying on her chest. Her legs are getting stronger so she is pushing forward and flipping constantly!
I know it's been a long time, just curious if your girl was able to fully recover?

Back
Top Bottom