Silkied Ameraucana Project

So 1 out of 10 is a show-er, not a grow-er......................... LOL!

We all play the guessing game. Females usually feather faster, have longer tails, shorter slimmer legs. Boys larger, thicker, more upright stance - and more likely to come up to you.
But yeah, ultimately crow or lay the only 100%.

Found this project when searching to see if someone had breed blue eggs into silkies. Since I as considering working on that as a project. But this is so much better. Been a fan of Amarucana for many years now. Cute bird, great personality, and blue eggs. To find that the silkie feather gene mutated in is very interesting. I also like silkies, great tiny pickling eggs, and good broody all natural incubators.

Took me nearly a week to get to this page starting from the "What's wrong with their feathers" thread.

I'm interested in this project enough to try and help. I currently only have a few EE's since their legs are greenish. (restarting my flock after heavy predator loses forced me give away remaining flock) Even if it meant starting with splits, and test mating for the gene. Which is good for genetic diversity anyway. Just keep me in mind when the eggs are coming. And give me enough fore warning ahead so I can get some same colored pure Am stock to mate them with.

Found this project when searching to see if someone had breed blue eggs into silkies. Since I as considering working on that as a project. But this is so much better. Been a fan of Amarucana for many years now. Cute bird, great personality, and blue eggs. To find that the silkie feather gene mutated in is very interesting. I also like silkies, great tiny pickling eggs, and good broody all natural incubators.

Took me nearly a week to get to this page starting from the "What's wrong with their feathers" thread.

I'm interested in this project enough to try and help. I currently only have a few EE's since their legs are greenish. (restarting my flock after heavy predator loses forced me give away remaining flock) Even if it meant starting with splits, and test mating for the gene. Which is good for genetic diversity anyway. Just keep me in mind when the eggs are coming. And give me enough fore warning ahead so I can get some same colored pure Am stock to mate them with.

I stalked this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754060/the-new-crazy-24hr-auction-thread/10430 For about two weeks until thespoiledchicken posted eggs again...

I hatched my first batch last month....11 of 15 eggs hatched, about half/half of each color (Lav and Black split). Shipped from NY to TN. :jumpy

I stalked this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754060/the-new-crazy-24hr-auction-thread/10430 For about two weeks until thespoiledchicken posted eggs again...

I hatched my first batch last month....11 of 15 eggs hatched, about half/half of each color (Lav and Black split). Shipped from NY to TN.
jumpy.gif

Aww thanks Gentry for recommending me
big_smile.png

Daqatz I am breaking up my breeding pen this weekend so if you are interested in eggs please let me know. I am currently breeding full Silkieds (no splits) in Lavender and Black split to Lavender.

Anyone wanting eggs please PM me last chance until the Fall
jumpy.gif

Do any of you cull birds for being too flighty/not taking handling well? I have one likely cockerel black split who is so jukey he has escaped the brooder twice and runs like a Jurassic World raptor around the basement until I can grab him at night. Even then he screams bloody murder and thrashes. Far outlier on behavior compared to every other chick I have ever raised, no one has been this flighty.

On one hand I suspect these would all be fantastic traits for a free ranger - no easy dinner there for a predator. But is it possible to be too flighty and thus move away from Am standards in regard to temperment?

Trying to figure if I should tag for culling or leave him with a chance to make the year end selection.

He won't take treats from me, which is usually my first step in handling - would actually rather miss out on the treats than get close. Right now he just stink eyes me while the rest crowd for treats.

Short of grabbing him while sleeping he really is untouchable.

Back
Top Bottom