Silkied Ameraucanas? NOT Crosses

We had some of the real thing 6-7 years ago, but most were not hardy. Our favorite splash hen though, she was awesome... laying large blue eggs every day without fail. At 2 years old she rather suddenly passed away for no discernible reason.

In this thread we've been waiting for the OP to come back later this year as she said she would be setting up her breeding pen again...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-lavender-and-black-split-to-lavender.988157/

@dheltzel did you say somewhere you were working with silkied Ams?
dheltzel only has one silkied pullet at 3 week old and her dad and mom each has one copy of the gene but not silkied. There will be a long time before he will have the silkied chicks or eggs.

Everyone has the same issue that these silkied ameraucanas are not hardy.

Yes. I had a white bearded female silkie chicken and a buff bearded male one. Bearded ones come in both genders.
YAYYYYY!!!!!!!! :ya :wee:celebrate:woot
now I may be able to keep some chicks that I got. I didn't know this piece o' information until now, but I knew males had the beard. I have some bearded silkies that were supposed to be all pullets. I bet they really are!

now I may be able to keep some chicks that I got. I didn't know this piece o' information until now, but I knew males had the beard. I have some bearded silkies that were supposed to be all pullets. I bet they really are!
Males can also be beardless. It has nothing to do with gender. If you want to post your birds on the Silkie thread we can help you sex them.😊

Yes, they might be! Personality is usually your best bet when it comes to sexing bearded silkies (saying from experience)
Or, you basically have to wait til you see eggs, streamers, or some party horn crowing!

Back
Top Bottom