1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies and showgirl eggs put in the incubator 12/25 !!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dahartfarm, Dec 28, 2015.

1. dahartfarm

dahartfarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2015
    Maryland
    I got a new incubator for christmas (well ok early christmas) so I collected some of my own eggs and ordered a few from a silkie breeder to help improve my stock and.........we are off! It hasn't been hard keeping the humidity up since its been crazy humid and rainy in md. Also have some quail eggs in there from my own stock just for fun. *fingers crossed*. I know quail hatch earlier then chickens so I created a separate brooder box for when they hatch. tips/tricks/comments?

2. dahartfarm

Dec 22, 2015
    Maryland
    oh! I am using a forced air automatic turning incubator if that helps :)

3. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Good luck!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yes, best of luck! Happy hatching!

5. dahartfarm

Dec 22, 2015
    Maryland
    Upped humidity and turned off the automatic turner.... Hoping some of my quail eggs hatch !!! A few more days... I'm worried the fertility is low. They are too small to candle *fingers crossed* 21 days for my chicken eggs at the end of the week

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    :fl :fl :fl

7. dahartfarm

Dec 22, 2015
    Maryland
    i have two early quail hatchers! they are not due to hatch until tomorrow...........16 more to go. Pictures to come

8. dahartfarm

Dec 22, 2015
    Maryland
    ok so the quail should be hatching today but so far only the two that hatched have piped/hatched. they are doing well but im worried as none of the other quail eggs have pipped. some are moving around. ugh this is stressful!

9. dahartfarm

Dec 22, 2015
    Maryland
    Please does anyone have advice? I have only opened the lid to add water to keep hummidity stable.............some of the eggs have been moving but no pipping yet. when should I get worried? how long should I wait before i know they are not hatching? these 2 chicks are out of 18 eggs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  10. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your quail are adorable :love

Since your incubator is forced air, I'm guessing you've got it set at 99.5F for temp. What's your humidity been throughout incubation? And, did you calibrate your thermometer(s) and hygrometer(s) before you started?

Who is the manufacturer of the 'bator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by