Silkies, Black Cochins?, and some other bantams? Updated pics

NewChickOh

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Oregonia, Ohio
Ok, we went and picked up new chicks this weekend, well, just because
smile.png

We ended up deciding that we'd bring home everything she had, see how they turned out and then resell the ones we don't want to keep.

She had a white silkie hen and two partidge silkie roos. She also had a mille fleur d'uccle hen and a black bantam roo of some sort (cochin?).

Here are the chicks we brought home....
26168_newbantams0519b.jpg

26168_newbantams0519a.jpg

I'm sure there are 2 roos and a hen in that group in the front, but what are they? They do have feathers on their feet, and some have 5 toes, so probably a silkie mix. Also what color are those silkies in the back?

Here's the next group...Supposedly a mille fleur pair in the front, although I only saw a mille fleur hen and the black bantam roo(only saw him briefly, why didn't I take pic???) They look like the Black Cochin chick pics I've seen, so that's what I'm guessing...

26168_silkiesandwhat0519b.jpg

Then I think partridge silkies in the back, and maybe a black silkie in the front left.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have, and can easily post more pics tonight.

Thanks!
Kim

Last edited:
I think you have it exactly right for the second pic - partridge and black silkies and black cochins. Mille fleur babies are brownish-red. I can't tell on the other ones. If you can get some better pics of the dark silkies (in natural light if possible) it would be easier to tell their actual color.
smile.png

I'll try to do that tonight
smile.png
Thanks!

She may have had some other bantams running around. She inherited them when a friend passed away and wasn't sure exactly what she had. I'm just guessing based on what she said and what I actually saw...

I wasn't familiar with the Mille Fleur before we went, but my daughter loved the hen and really wanted these babies. I'm sure she'll still love them if they are Black Cochins!

Thanks!
Kim

26168_img00387-20090519-1047.jpg

Ok, here's a close up of one of the silkies. It's got brown on the cheek area, and a striping to the feathers on the back (they are about 3 weeks btw). It's color looks mostly grey. There are two others that are much darker, so I think they are going to be black (is that possible genetically with a white mom and partridge dad? I know nothing about Silkie genetics).

I don't have time for more pics right now, but I'll try to get more pics tonight.

Thanks!

Here are some updated pics....

I have two of these roos and the one hen, that much I'm sure of....

BUT what are they???? They are very sweet and calm with feathered feet...I was wrong in my original post they only have 4 toes.

Help!
Kim

26168_img00493-20090604-1346.jpg

26168_img00491-20090604-1345.jpg

26168_img00487-20090604-1343.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom