Silkies Boys Girls??? Pic Heavy.

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
Chick 1.
I think roo Looks to be getting a single comb? and has wattles apearing small but noticable with some color.
SDC10196.jpg

SDC10202.jpg

Chick 2
I think pullet smallest of them all and has no noticable comb or wattles.
SDC10199.jpg

SDC10204.jpg

Chick 3,4,5
3, Dark colored one is biggest of them all has some comb but no color no sign of wattles.
4, Partidge with less pompom on head.
Has a dark single comb but no wattles. also not coloring to that comb just black. BTW this guy is a frizzle.
5, Other partidge chick very small has some comb with no color.

SDC10198.jpg

Chick 6
Noone has been sure on this little guy. I'v posted pics before here is somewhat of a better face shot.
SDC10206.jpg

These chicks are about 12 weeks old now. sorry these guys are so dirty they are in a temp cage while I build them a new one. This is my dust bathing cage and thats all they do is bath and get dirty..LOL

Last edited:
I am a new chicken Mom so I'm not an expert....BUT...I have 8 Silkies and I will tell you that every one of them that developed a comb and wattles started to crow last week! Now I know for sure that I have 5 roosters, and might have 1 more just not mature yet. Some developed their wattles and combs gradually, and I swear some just showed up over night. I think that show Silkies have had them bred out of the roosters because I have seen pics. and they are comb free (usually). My guys are 16 weeks old now. The good news is they are still very sweet and we continue to hold, hug, play, and enjoy them.

Quote:
Dont know who told you that, or where you've concluded that they are comb free, but that is incorrect. They all have combs. Case in point....

Large combed rooster...
11916_1.jpg

Small combed Cockeral....
11916_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...thanks for setting me straight! I must have missed their combs in all that fluffy feathering! Also, there was a statement in an article I read regarding combs on roosters in show birds being small or non existant. I will try to dig it up and forward it to you! SOOOO, is it correct to assume that a comb, a set of wattles, and a crow in the A.M. all equal a rooster?

Quote:
Thats also incorrect. The two birds above were bred by two different breeders. The breeder of the rooster likes the large combs, and believes that it is more masculine, and is a sign of better fertility. The breeder of the cockeral, likes the small, compact combs, and doesnt think the comb has anything to do with the fertility. Both breeders are friends of mine, but both have different opinions, and have different breeding goals.

So not matter what someone tells you, or what article you read, depending on the breeder some birds may have no comb, small compact combs, or big honking blobs of a comb. Just depends on who you talk to.

And to answer your other question.... combs, wattles, and crows dont always ad up to a cockeral, although the odds are that they will. I have one pullet who has a larger than normal comb for a female, and I thought it was a cockeral for the longest, even entering it into a show as a cockeral. But if your's are crowing already, it's probably a safe bet they are males.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...You rock! I am so glad to be getting accurate imformation on my little guys! Obviously, I have way to many roosters now, so what would you suggest? I really hate to get rid of any. BTW, does that mean that the little girls I thought I had because they are comb and wattle and crow less might also be boys?

Last edited:
Because the breed is so docile, if they've grown up together, quite often Silkie males will be ok together as long as they are in a large area. You just have to keep an eye on them to make sure that one, or two aren't being singled out, and of course that they aren't fighting.

If they are too aggressive, you can seperate them in their own pens.

And if all else fails, you can sell them, or cull them...

Back
Top Bottom