Silkies from Ideal

I have 8 white silkies from ideal and I am completely satisfied. All of mine but one has 5 toes. Plenty of fluff and more on their feet then i expected. Every one of them has black skin. Two of them have vaulted skulls. Though i am disappointed that none are bearded. But overall i am extremely satisfied. They are very sweet and i'm glad i bought them. I think that any bird regardless of breed is going to look worse from a hatchery then from a breeder. It would be nice to be able to buy poultry from a breeder but not every one has the money to spend 15 dollars per chick. I think that average poultry enthusiast would enjoy a silkie from ideal. I think it is a farcry to call them "buzzards" but it could be that I just lucked out. I wish I could post pictures of my silkies but i'm posting from my cell phone. I would imagine that if you have gotten 50+, you would at least have a few pictures. But I digress, I have heard from multiple sources that the best quality are the white. So if you decide to buy some, get the white. Then again you could decide to just fork over a few more bucks and get some chicks from breeder. If you can afford to go that route, then go right on ahead. But if your on a budget, then get some silkies from ideal. I don't regret it at all.

100+ actually,

I am a breeder, and dont have any pics of them simply because of that, why take pics on bad birds to post on MY site? OH and I sell mine at $5 each too by the way, I'm not one of those high dollar silkie gougers. If you have one without out 4 toes, then like I said, they are to the breed standards, that's a base rule for a silkie, 5 toes... Farce or not, they looked horrid. I may be just pickier than others, but I only want the best stuff to go into my breeding groups. I knew better then to expect much from them, but at least figured they would be to the standard?? Was getting their buff, reds, lavanders, etc for color breeding projects was what I was planning, but they were all too far off to even worry with. Can go on to add the reds and lavenders are the worst. Most had huge wattles and SINGLE combs in addition to all the other stuff I mentioned. Nothing silkie type about them but the very thin fuzz.
Like I said, if you just want a pet, they are fine, out side of that.... no way!

Last edited:
I ordered 25 Silkie chicks from Ideal; they arrived VERY healthy. I'm in the very early stages of my Silkie breeding program; no quality local breeders to buy from; the shipping cost from the best breeders was more than I wanted to pay, so I thought why not see what hatchery chicks turn out to look like?
The Ideal chicks cost me $3 each; out the the 25 I'd say I've got 5 that will make it into my breeding program. The other 20 I'll sell as pet quality for $5 each ($10 if I wait until they can be sexed). So, by the numbers, I end up with FREE breeder quality birds.
ALL of the 25 chicks have 5 toes, dark skin; the 20 that will be sold have poor toe feathering and "off" color, and no beards.
All in all--I'm satisfied with the quality of Silkie chicks from Ideal; but I won't order Silkies from a hatchery again, because I now have my own breeding flock.

I understand that you don't want anything but the best for your breeding program. I mean, good god your a breeder. Thats what your suppose to do! If you kept and bred birds that were below par then whats the point? And i'm glad that your not gouging people who just want a possible SQ bird. You could take advantage of people but your selling good quality silkies at reasonable price. I would love to breed someday but with time, space, and money all being in short supply, i'll have to wait a few years. But for right now, my ideal silkies do me just fine. But when I decide I wanna take the plunge and start my own breeder program, i'll buy breeder birds.

True, but the question was about their birds, SO, that's my opinion of them, as that is yours too, were all allowed one right? Dont expect anything other than a fuzzy chick and you will be fine, otherwise, you'll be disapointed. People need to know this, as many buy and arent aware of it, therefore.... My opinion of them, like I said, great hatchery , great staff, with some very nice birds, just not in silkies many threads on here about that too, not just me picking on them by no means.

Last edited:
I found a silkie breeder so I dont have to go with a hatchery!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom