Silkies Rooster feels like a water balloon

camper82

Chirping
Apr 19, 2016
Hi, I have a Silkies rooster who is recovering from an attack. He has a nicely healing scab on his back that has been clean, dry and healing well with absolutely no sign of infection. Today I found his entire left side is swollen from breast bone to back bone and down his left leg. His right side is normal. It feels like a water balloon. He is walking, flapping his wings and crowing. I have no idea what it is or if it is related to his previous injury or not. I had some left over anti inflammatory drugs I gave him. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Can you post some photos?
Where on his body was he injured and how long ago was that?
What type of wound - puncture like from a dog/predator or was it from flock member?

It was from flock members. The injury is 2.5 weeks old. He went to the vet and got antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds. The wound has healed nicely. The swelling is his left side in this photo. It had not worsened but he is still swollen.

I took him to my aunt who is a vet tech for her to drain. It was nothing but air. Must be a sub q emphysema or ruptured air sac. We got a lot of the air off. I'll keep an eye on him now.

I had a cockerel who went through that. I had welded wire covering the brooder that was sharp on the edge and he cut himself on it. His entire side blew up like a balloon.

I gently squeezed it and it went away.

Back
Top Bottom