Silkies sneezing and sound chesty

EggsNchooks

Chirping
Apr 2, 2021
Australia
Hi everyone,

I am worried about 2 silkie pullets that I recently purchased. they some times sneeze and have gurgly noises. Otherwise they’re eating and foraging and pooping as per normal.

They’re a couple of months old and in with 6 other Wyandotte’s the same age. They are getting along well and no other birds seem to have this sneeze or gurgling noise.

have they got some disease I’m not aware of and should I be concerned for the other chicks in the cage with them, should I seperate them?

thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I am worried about 2 silkie pullets that I recently purchased. they some times sneeze and have gurgly noises. Otherwise they’re eating and foraging and pooping as per normal.

They’re a couple of months old and in with 6 other Wyandotte’s the same age. They are getting along well and no other birds seem to have this sneeze or gurgling noise.

have they got some disease I’m not aware of and should I be concerned for the other chicks in the cage with them, should I seperate them?

thanks in advance.
Give them some Vetrx Poultry and see how they are in a few days.

What kind of bedding are you using? It's possible they're just sensitive to the environment. If it's nice and clean and not super dusty though it's probably something else...I'd definitely isolate them, just in case, and give them some kind of supplement just to give them a little boost. Scrambled eggs added to feed, some electrolytes/probiotics in the water for a couple of days to see if they improve.

What kind of bedding are you using? It's possible they're just sensitive to the environment. If it's nice and clean and not super dusty though it's probably something else...I'd definitely isolate them, just in case, and give them some kind of supplement just to give them a little boost. Scrambled eggs added to feed, some electrolytes/probiotics in the water for a couple of days to see if they improve.
Sugar cane mulch for bedding. Their environment is grass, no dust.
I’m worried if it’s some sinister illness that it could spread to the others. They’re the newest chooks in the coop and a lot of articles that I’ve been reading say that illness can happen when bringing newbies into the flock and the sickness can be a reoccurring thing. 😔

Sugar cane mulch for bedding. Their environment is grass, no dust.
I’m worried if it’s some sinister illness that it could spread to the others. They’re the newest chooks in the coop and a lot of articles that I’ve been reading say that illness can happen when bringing newbies into the flock and the sickness can be a reoccurring thing. 😔
They’ve been in quarantine since arriving and they’ve gotten sick in quarantine. We did have a few days of wet weather and they did get their feathers wet, maybe they got a chill?

I bought 4 pullets (2 of which were the silkies) they were in quarantine together for a week and then we had rain for a few days then I noticed they were sneezing.

They were sick in quarantine and you still put them with your other chickens?what symptoms were they having when they were sick?
They just sneezed. And eventually the white silkie developed some green discharge to which I immediately isolated the two silkies and started antibiotics. The other two pullets (Wyandotte’s) seem fine and healthy.

I'd keep them isolated until they've been free of symptoms for a while, and also don't integrate the ones you had with them into the rest of your flock for a while either, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom