Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Two of the kids from the Bantam Buff Orpingtons (one of the moms is an F1) Splash Silkie roo.
DSC_0018.JPG
And last but not least a pure bred silkie given to me from a hatch my friend did about the same time. She doesn't want partridge!
DSC_0038.JPG

I know this is a hen, she lays eggs haha, but doesn't she look not quite right!? The tall tail and larger then normal visible wattles... I hatched her from shipped eggs last year.
View attachment 3458373
View attachment 3458374View attachment 3458375View attachment 3458376View attachment 3458377

Quality issue is all. I wouldn't breed just because of that tail. Bad gene combos can happen even in good flocks.

When I got BBS silkies, one of the splash hens grew up to look odd. She laid a total of 2 eggs in her life. She also crowed quite well. Rooster wasn't much interested in her. She looked more like an immature cockerel than anything.

Quality issue is all. I wouldn't breed just because of that tail. Bad gene combos can happen even in good flocks.

When I got BBS silkies, one of the splash hens grew up to look odd. She laid a total of 2 eggs in her life. She also crowed quite well. Rooster wasn't much interested in her. She looked more like an immature cockerel than anything.
Ok thanks, she's on my selling list now

The very last chick to hatch today is one of Steelie Meister (passed away last month) and Shadow Captain's.. Meet my latest F2! When I got up this morning it was still in pip stage but the shell was pretty much crushed from the other chicks in the 'bator that hatched overnight.. I monitored the situation closely and kept the membrane oiled so it wouldn't shrink..
DSC_0042.JPG

The very last chick to hatch today is one of Steelie Meister (passed away last month) and Shadow Captain's.. Meet my latest F2! When I got up this morning it was still in pip stage but the shell was pretty much crushed from the other chicks in the 'bator that hatched overnight.. I monitored the situation closely and kept the membrane oiled so it wouldn't shrink.. View attachment 3459381
Whoa look at that hairdo! Super cute! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom