Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
I hope to show locally eventually too, I've heard from lots of people now that it is a really good way to learn.
I've just had a new lot hatch!

Is this one lavender or blue or what?

View attachment 2302433
I've never kept gray or lavender silkies, but your chick is adorable!

One of my silkie babies cracked me up this morning. They graduated to the outdoor coop, and some of them immediately started dusting. I left them for a bit, and when I went back to check on them I found that one of the previously yellow babies is now...not yellow...and shorter...
Here's the hole he/she was digging.
Beautiful silkie!

Well all the hoping for a boy didn't do me any good. This is a girl. 10.5 weeks old.

20200829_171621.jpg

My favorite silkie chick that we hatched out a few days ago that my daughter named Cloudy and my husbands favorite that he named Stormy. They are so cute, we can’t wait to see what they look like full grown.

Attachments

• 4750A7EE-F15A-406A-87E8-2A13DF5B07D0.jpeg
    4750A7EE-F15A-406A-87E8-2A13DF5B07D0.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 34D96F21-6B43-47C7-8257-745B060D5001.jpeg
    34D96F21-6B43-47C7-8257-745B060D5001.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 5
I saw that MPC has hatching eggs for "show quality silkies" but boy are they expensive! Six eggs for $99. I'd die if I spent that and none hatched! If they weren't so far away though...
I'm more tempted by their
Screenshot_20200830-122253_Chrome.jpg
I want a showgirl ...for my granddaughter's sake of course.

Then get a silkie and naked neck (ask someone more qualified about the correct genders) and you'll get a ton of showgirl chickens for waay less! :)
Doing so. I have an order for some hatchery chicks. They may not be so lovely since they are hatchery quality. I ordered 2 naked neck pullets, 7 silkie straight run, some sr crevecoeur for interest, and a few more girls of various breeds.
I'm picking them up in two weeks and then I can join the silkie club! (I'm just an admirer now 😉)

Doing so. I have an order for some hatchery chicks. They may not be so lovely since they are hatchery quality. I ordered 2 naked neck pullets, 7 silkie straight run, some sr crevecoeur for interest, and a few more girls of various breeds.
I'm picking them up in two weeks and then I can join the silkie club! (I'm just an admirer now 😉)
Congrats on your new chickens! (I hope that my careless post didn't influence your decision, because I probably know nothing, but than again, you get some silkies!)
x2 on the admirer. I don't have any Silkies. Yet.

Congrats on your new chickens! (I hope that my careless post didn't influence your decision, because I probably know nothing, but than again, you get some silkies!)
x2 on the admirer. I don't have any Silkies. Yet.
Not to worry, I ordered them in July. I ordered a total of 17 chicks. Got to get busy and build a grow out for the males. I have several cockrels right now from 4 weeks to 16 weeks all still in my broody girls pen.

My favorite silkie chick that we hatched out a few days ago that my daughter named Cloudy and my husbands favorite that he named Stormy. They are so cute, we can’t wait to see what they look like full grown.

Aww what little cuties! They are super fun to watch grow! The awkward stages when they start growing their crests in can look pretty funny. :lol:

I saw that MPC has hatching eggs for "show quality silkies" but boy are they expensive! Six eggs for $99. I'd die if I spent that and none hatched! If they weren't so far away though...
I'm more tempted by their
View attachment 2313167
I want a showgirl ...for my granddaughter's sake of course.

Ouch $99 for six eggs that are shipped.... yeah I wouldn't want to chance that.

That fun and funky mix does look interesting, a lot less money down the drain if none make it to hatch too. My husband thinks the showgirls are are so ugly but I think they are just adorable! I'm looking forward to getting some eventually to go with my other silkies. :)

Some hatchery silkies can be pretty decent, I got some from cackle hatchery that looked a lot closer to the silkie standard than most hatchery silkies I've seen. I hope the little silkies you ordered turn out adorable, I'm sure even if they aren't that close to the standard they'll be cute though! :D

Back
Top Bottom