Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Okay, interesting news coming up!

I am going to try to replace my silkie cock with a show-quality cock or cockerel and start breeding for quality. Starting next spring, I will hatch at least once per month, and sell at least 15 chicks per month. At least seven months. We'll see how it goes!

Next batch of chicks I get I will take pictures week by week of their growth. I'll focus on comb and side-view. I'm doing this so in the future people can use this as a guide to sexing silkies. Anything else you think I should take pictures of?

Okay, interesting news coming up!

I am going to try to replace my silkie cock with a show-quality cock or cockerel and start breeding for quality. Starting next spring, I will hatch at least once per month, and sell at least 15 chicks per month. At least seven months. We'll see how it goes!

Next batch of chicks I get I will take pictures week by week of their growth. I'll focus on comb and side-view. I'm doing this so in the future people can use this as a guide to sexing silkies. Anything else you think I should take pictures of?

Ooh sounds exciting! Good luck finding a really nice cock or cockerel! :D

The weekly pictures sound like they would be great for helping in sexing! I think focusing on the comb and a good side view should be pretty good in terms of sexing. It might be kind of fun to show how toe feathering changes and what amount of down at hatch corresponds to how well feathered they are later on. I haven't documented it well enough but the chicks I've been really impressed with the down covering on the feet at hatch from my paint flock have pretty much turned out male. Plenty of males don't have the really nice down at hatch too but I can't recall a female from my own breeding that had it. Probably just coincidence, or something in the genetics specifically in the birds I'm using to breed. It's interesting though (and deserves further investigation in my own breeding, I really need to get better at documenting).

If you were breeding paint I'd say it would be neat to document pigment changes in the feet of birds hatched with light skin to show how long it takes for the pigment to really come in. That is only if you get any paints or white from paints though. Perhaps other varieties hatch more often with light skin but I think the paints and the white from paints have had the pinkest skin I've seen on a silkie at hatch.

Ooh sounds exciting! Good luck finding a really nice cock or cockerel! :D

The weekly pictures sound like they would be great for helping in sexing! I think focusing on the comb and a good side view should be pretty good in terms of sexing. It might be kind of fun to show how toe feathering changes and what amount of down at hatch corresponds to how well feathered they are later on. I haven't documented it well enough but the chicks I've been really impressed with the down covering on the feet at hatch from my paint flock have pretty much turned out male. Plenty of males don't have the really nice down at hatch too but I can't recall a female from my own breeding that had it. Probably just coincidence, or something in the genetics specifically in the birds I'm using to breed. It's interesting though (and deserves further investigation in my own breeding, I really need to get better at documenting).

If you were breeding paint I'd say it would be neat to document pigment changes in the feet of birds hatched with light skin to show how long it takes for the pigment to really come in. That is only if you get any paints or white from paints though. Perhaps other varieties hatch more often with light skin but I think the paints and the white from paints have had the pinkest skin I've seen on a silkie at hatch.
Ooh, I think I'll try to document feet to now! I don't have paints, but am hoping for some splashes next year!

I am debating about getting a cock this year or next. I don't like integrating super late in the year, but if I do it now I might be okay. I have never integrated a lone adult rooster before, but I have heard that sometimes it takes a while for the hens to get used to the cock? I want to be ready to breed by around February.

Ooh, I think I'll try to document feet to now! I don't have paints, but am hoping for some splashes next year!

I am debating about getting a cock this year or next. I don't like integrating super late in the year, but if I do it now I might be okay. I have never integrated a lone adult rooster before, but I have heard that sometimes it takes a while for the hens to get used to the cock? I want to be ready to breed by around February.

I love splashes too, the ones with the really nice dark splashes of color on a slightly darker blue base are my favorite! :love

It definitely can take a while to get fertile eggs from a new cock or cockerel (if the cock is experienced that may help). I think it really depends on the cock/cockerel though and how your hens take to him. I've tried integrating a couple different cockerels in my flock. The first took a bit to start fertilizing the eggs. I think it took about 2 months before I started getting fertile eggs from him but I could be remembering wrong. I do remember being very impatient and feeling like it was taking a long time. He was young and very clumsy and I don't think the hens were very impressed with him. The second cockerel I tried integrating (just put him with my girls around a month or so ago) learned much more quickly. I started getting fertile eggs in just a couple weeks but some of my hens have been holding out (last batch of eggs that went into the incubator from a week ago had 11/18 that are developing). I've also got more hens for him to cover than is probably a good ratio so I'm sure that contributed. Both times integrating the hens were never really hard on the new cockerels, the cockerels could be a little rough with the hens though especially seeing as they were learning how to mate.

I love splashes too, the ones with the really nice dark splashes of color on a slightly darker blue base are my favorite! :love

It definitely can take a while to get fertile eggs from a new cock or cockerel (if the cock is experienced that may help). I think it really depends on the cock/cockerel though and how your hens take to him. I've tried integrating a couple different cockerels in my flock. The first took a bit to start fertilizing the eggs. I think it took about 2 months before I started getting fertile eggs from him but I could be remembering wrong. I do remember being very impatient and feeling like it was taking a long time. He was young and very clumsy and I don't think the hens were very impressed with him. The second cockerel I tried integrating (just put him with my girls around a month or so ago) learned much more quickly. I started getting fertile eggs in just a couple weeks but some of my hens have been holding out (last batch of eggs that went into the incubator from a week ago had 11/18 that are developing). I've also got more hens for him to cover than is probably a good ratio so I'm sure that contributed. Both times integrating the hens were never really hard on the new cockerels, the cockerels could be a little rough with the hens though especially seeing as they were learning how to mate.
Okay, sound a like I'll be looking for a new cock this month! Thanks!

My bantam silkie hen, anyone think they could tell me her age? Not even sure she’s a bantam, but super small compared to my other one. When I bought her supposedly she was about to start laying, but it’s been almost 3 weeks and no eggs.

Attachments

• 715C78A4-DC3E-49AD-BA54-8C928C7F720D.jpeg
    715C78A4-DC3E-49AD-BA54-8C928C7F720D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Do you free range? Introducing him out of doors is better, and a protected sleeping arrangement in the coop for a couple weeks. Hens can be absolutely savage with a new rooster.

Back
Top Bottom