Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Some examples of calm breeds? I've been looking at:
-Splash Marans
-Silver Laced Cochin
-Easter Egger
-Bantam Barred Rock (would be the flock established with the silkie)
Introducing these breeds a year or so later:
-Speckled Sussex
-Australorp
-White Leghorn
-Cream Legbar OR Olive egger OR Delaware (or another silkie?)

I have ameraucana and EE which have been ok. The rocks I had tried to kill the first silkies I got. The brahma tried to bully them, but I had the genghis kahn of silkie roosters by then. He lead the hens on a mission to dominate everyone. That ended up with all the large fowl terrified of silkies.

I have ameraucana and EE which have been ok. The rocks I had tried to kill the first silkies I got. The brahma tried to bully them, but I had the genghis kahn of silkie roosters by then. He lead the hens on a mission to dominate everyone. That ended up with all the large fowl terrified of silkies.
Would the rocks and the silkies being raised together hopefully solve that problem? :fl

Would the rocks and the silkies being raised together hopefully solve that problem? :fl

Didn't work for me. I'd gotten them as chicks together. I've not had good experience with hatchery rocks. I actually had to cull two pullets because they were so aggressive towards anything not a rock. I didn't get anymore after the second time.

Didn't work for me. I'd gotten them as chicks together. I've not had good experience with hatchery rocks. I actually had to cull two pullets because they were so aggressive towards anything not a rock. I didn't get anymore after the second time.
Maybe if I got a bantam barred rock? You can see that I'm grasping at straws here, but they are my mom's favorites and I really don't want to omit one.

What hatchery did you use?

Feed store. They source from Privett Hatchery.

Bantams might be fine. Heck, rocks from a good breeder might be fine and have better temperament. I had some evil little hatchery silkie roosters before as well.

Make sure there is plenty of space and I'd make sure to have two silkies so they can hang out.

Feed store. They source from Privett Hatchery.

Bantams might be fine. Heck, rocks from a good breeder might be fine and have better temperament. I had some evil little hatchery silkie roosters before as well.

Make sure there is plenty of space and I'd make sure to have two silkies so they can hang out.
I"m using MyPetChicken who source from Meyers, and my friends got some more quarantine chicks (they already had chickens) and they've had good success with their barred rock. Hopefully it will all turn out ok.

Misty passed on today. She got stuck under a feed bin, something which will never happen again in my coopyard. She was good quality and a fair winner. Beautiful and sweet bird. I'll miss her. RIP Mist!

Oh no I'm so sorry! :( :hugs

Chickens seem to get in the worst places sometimes. :hit

My bantam silkie hen, anyone think they could tell me her age? Not even sure she’s a bantam, but super small compared to my other one. When I bought her supposedly she was about to start laying, but it’s been almost 3 weeks and no eggs.

Not sure about age on her but you should be able to tell if she is getting close to laying by feeling her pelvic bones (they are just below the vent and feel sort of pokey). In young pullets the pelvic bones are very close together, as a pullet gets closer to laying age those pelvic bones spread apart in preparation for laying. If you can fit two fingers between the pelvic bones she is likely very close to starting to lay (I usually can't even fit one finger between the pelvic bones on silkie pullets that are still far from laying). She may take a little extra time as well due to the change in environment. Going to a new home can stop them laying for a while until they become comfortable in the new environment.

I've never had silkies before but I am most likely getting one this spring. Anything I should know, aside from the FLOOF and the broodiness?

Looks like the others who answered covered the main issues. I'd add you may have to provide a fairly easy to climb or low roost as they can have issues roosting.

Oh no I'm so sorry! :( :hugs

Chickens seem to get in the worst places sometimes. :hit

Not sure about age on her but you should be able to tell if she is getting close to laying by feeling her pelvic bones (they are just below the vent and feel sort of pokey). In young pullets the pelvic bones are very close together, as a pullet gets closer to laying age those pelvic bones spread apart in preparation for laying. If you can fit two fingers between the pelvic bones she is likely very close to starting to lay (I usually can't even fit one finger between the pelvic bones on silkie pullets that are still far from laying). She may take a little extra time as well due to the change in environment. Going to a new home can stop them laying for a while until they become comfortable in the new environment.

Looks like the others who answered covered the main issues. I'd add you may have to provide a fairly easy to climb or low roost as they can have issues roosting.
Super! I'll make sure to have a ramp up to the roost.

Some examples of calm breeds? I've been looking at:
-Splash Marans
-Silver Laced Cochin
-Easter Egger
-Bantam Barred Rock (would be the flock established with the silkie)
Introducing these breeds a year or so later:
-Speckled Sussex
-Australorp
-White Leghorn
-Cream Legbar OR Olive egger OR Delaware (or another silkie?)
Barred Rocks are my favorite too (right before silkies) but I haven't kept any for a couple years. I plan on getting some bantam Rocks next year.

My EEs get along well with my silkies and so did my polish before I sold her. My RIR has done very good with them, but she is 8 years old right now, going on 9. All my chickens get along pretty well, and any extra mean bullys are rehomed. Odd random fact, but I think that if a chicken was bullied a lot at a young age, instead of becoming nicer (as we tender-hearts like to think) they become bullys themselves.

My Barred Rocks have always been mellow, though I have never kept any with silkies. I think they would do okay. Maybe Privett's strain is just more aggressive?

My silkies are so sweet. When I go to let the younger chicks out, i't always the silkies that come to greet me first. I have 6 silkies.
Welcome to the thread! Do you have pictures of your silkies? They sound so sweet!

I absolutely LOVEEEEE my silkies. They've been with me since the beginning of the spring. I heard all the same issues with them. Dumb. High Maintenance. Whatever... these birds make me smiles like nobody's business!!! 💜 😍 I'll post a few of my babies...

This is Motley and Ozzy when they were about a month or so old! :loveView attachment 2316714View attachment 2316715

And here they are now! Thick as Theives! I'm pretty sure we have a cockerel and a pullet. Motley has the streamers and red tinted waddles and comb. And Ozzy is just my sweet sweet girl! 💜💜💜

View attachment 2316725View attachment 2316726
Beautiful silkies! :love

Back
Top Bottom