Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Barred Rocks are my favorite too (right before silkies) but I haven't kept any for a couple years. I plan on getting some bantam Rocks next year.

My EEs get along well with my silkies and so did my polish before I sold her. My RIR has done very good with them, but she is 8 years old right now, going on 9. All my chickens get along pretty well, and any extra mean bullys are rehomed. Odd random fact, but I think that if a chicken was bullied a lot at a young age, instead of becoming nicer (as we tender-hearts like to think) they become bullys themselves.

My Barred Rocks have always been mellow, though I have never kept any with silkies. I think they would do okay. Maybe Privett's strain is just more aggressive?

Welcome to the thread! Do you have pictures of your silkies? They sound so sweet!

Beautiful silkies! :love
I do but they aren't up to date pics.

(All thw pics are not up to date)
Heres our oldest silky roo called cotton ball. He's about 1 1/2 months. Now
20200719_095413.jpg

Heres fluffy. She's about a month now.
20200814_124856.jpg

Here's goldy, he's the same age as fluffy.
20200814_124817.jpg

Here's mohawk. Same age.
20200814_124718.jpg

Heres charcoal
20200814_124510.jpg

And last but not least is teddybear.
20200814_124554.jpg

(All thw pics are not up to date)
Heres our oldest silky roo called cotton ball. He's about 1 1/2 months. NowView attachment 2317269
Heres fluffy. She's about a month now.View attachment 2317270
Here's goldy, he's the same age as fluffy.View attachment 2317271
Here's mohawk. Same age.View attachment 2317272
Heres charcoalView attachment 2317274
And last but not least is teddybear.
View attachment 2317278

Aww they are adorable! :)

Started with 4 silkies, ended up with nine. These two boys (both second generation) were my favorite.

Bourbon (below)

View attachment 2318912

...and File'

View attachment 2318910

Beautiful boys! :love

Yes, I know his comb sucks. Broly is a sweety, though, and comes to me for petting when called. He was trying to give that bit of leaf to the girls. One finally did eat it.

View attachment 2319578

What an adorable picture! They are all just stunning! :love

I've seen some really terrible combs, Broly's looks very nice in comparison to some I've seen despite being a little light. He sounds like such a sweetie (wish I could say the same for my boys). :lol:

What an adorable picture! They are all just stunning! :love

I've seen some really terrible combs, Broly's looks very nice in comparison to some I've seen despite being a little light. He sounds like such a sweetie (wish I could say the same for my boys). :lol:

I've been breeding using only friendly roosters for years now. It's paid off on temperament. I had an unusually friendly hen who passed on that trait to many of her offspring so I took advantage of that. The roosters are all people friendly now.

Back
Top Bottom