Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Ok.. here is the polish that has me changing my mind on a daily basis. Sorry for the pic overload.. of course the creature would NOT let me take a pic from the front of its face.. except the screaming one. I included that to help your ears sense the screeching i endured 🤣

They all (even my wcb Esmeralda)have some iridescence to their black feathers, but the one i think is male is just so much more vibrant, you don't have to look for it, it just reflects everywhere. This one does not have the same iridescence.

The obvious male is humongous!! This one is just slightly larger than my obvious female, and no where near the size of the obvious male.

I am trying to analyze the crest, but the black feathers are soooo slow coming in, and the ones in are crusted w food and water (i swear, cleaning doesn't help w little piggies 🐷). The white feathers it does have are round, there just arent many of them. But.. i think i see some brown pointier ones about to come in (slightly blurry close up).

But if anything is obvious to you guys that i am missing, just break it to me 😆 Today im back to thinking male just based on behavior. The little girl did no screaming.. in fact this one was screaming bloody murder when i took her out of the run. Not sure if that's just random, or male behavior.

Forgot to add.. 7 weeks and 5 days old.

View attachment 2974435
View attachment 2974429View attachment 2974430View attachment 2974431View attachment 2974432View attachment 2974433View attachment 2974434
😍 ...so this one could get a nickname: Screamy! 😆
I think he/she looks very alert/bright!
I'm sorry I can't be of any help regarding gender. I have no experience with the breed and even sadly never met such a cutie in person.

Here's the latest pictures of my brood. I moved them into the brooder with a MHP. They were in the sunroom but I felt like it was far too cold in there so we moved the brooder pen into the dining room. Chicks have been relatively active today but I feel too cruddy to go get some decent pictures. Maybe tomorrow....

20220126_155940.jpg

ETA - see the dark chick with the yellow spot on its head? That chick came from a Blue Andalusian mama but I'm wondering if dad could be my CCLB roo... If so, then maybe he is autosexed with a spot? Would be interesting to see if the prediction comes true....

Last edited:
Here's the latest pictures of my brood. I moved them into the brooder with a MHP. They were in the sunroom but I felt like it was far too cold in there so we moved the brooder pen into the dining room. Chicks have been relatively active today but I feel too cruddy to go get some decent pictures. Maybe tomorrow....

View attachment 2974518
Omg they are so cute 🥰 Such beautiful colors!
Oh yes please more pictures tomorrow 😊

View attachment 2974518

ETA - see the dark chick with the yellow spot on its head? That chick came from a Blue Andalusian mama but I'm wondering if dad could be my CCLB roo... If so, then maybe he is autosexed with a spot? Would be interesting to see if the prediction comes true....
So cute and cuddly looking!!

Ok.. here is the polish that has me changing my mind on a daily basis. Sorry for the pic overload.. of course the creature would NOT let me take a pic from the front of its face.. except the screaming one. I included that to help your ears sense the screeching i endured 🤣

They all (even my wcb Esmeralda)have some iridescence to their black feathers, but the one i think is male is just so much more vibrant, you don't have to look for it, it just reflects everywhere. This one does not have the same iridescence.

The obvious male is humongous!! This one is just slightly larger than my obvious female, and no where near the size of the obvious male.

I am trying to analyze the crest, but the black feathers are soooo slow coming in, and the ones in are crusted w food and water (i swear, cleaning doesn't help w little piggies 🐷). The white feathers it does have are round, there just arent many of them. But.. i think i see some brown pointier ones about to come in (slightly blurry close up).

But if anything is obvious to you guys that i am missing, just break it to me 😆 Today im back to thinking male just based on behavior. The little girl did no screaming.. in fact this one was screaming bloody murder when i took her out of the run. Not sure if that's just random, or male behavior.

Forgot to add.. 7 weeks and 5 days old.

View attachment 2974435
View attachment 2974429View attachment 2974430View attachment 2974431View attachment 2974432View attachment 2974433View attachment 2974434
Looking male to me. But you know Polish are almost as tricky as Silkies to sex!❤️🤣

View attachment 2974518

What beautiful chicks! I love their coloring.😍

Looking male to me. But you know Polish are almost as tricky as Silkies to sex!❤️🤣
Yea.. i think the one thing i can say definitively is.. it looks much more like the male than the female. I'd think by now it would have some semblance of a female hairdo.. especially given they are all from the same parents.

Local regulations here require chicks to be at least 8 weeks old before they can be sold, and space is getting cramped, so i think I'll get them rehomed next week. Unless miraculous poofie hairdos emerge! Still happy I got one girl, and loving the silkies and polkie!

No more chick buying for sure.. if they all manage to hatch and raise some, cool, but no more being mama hen for me 😆

Back
Top Bottom