Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
A little mottled I wasn't expecting (I'm super excited as I didn't get any with this much white/yellow down when I was actually trying to hatch mottled).
By chance do you still have the mottled chick? Wondered how it was growing out since my Bluey is totally different from first four weeks of life!
Oh...n please be a girl!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-085459_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-085459_Photos.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 16559893236186662044577307463729.jpg
    16559893236186662044577307463729.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 1
Satin wont get recognized as a different breed. It's like with show girls. Will only be a different variety of silkie because they conform to standard except for one attribute that is standardized. Satins have mostly been byproducts of frizzled silkie breeding and gained their own following much later.

Satin wont get recognized as a different breed. It's like with show girls. Will only be a different variety of silkie because they conform to standard except for one attribute that is standardized. Satins have mostly been byproducts of frizzled silkie breeding and gained their own following much later.
I just hate that the Satins get ignored or thought of as a barnyard mix cause the associations won't receive em...
The colors you can get with them are amazing!!! You can't get that variety with Silkies.

I just hate that the Satins get ignored or thought of as a barnyard mix cause the associations won't receive em...
The colors you can get with them are amazing!!! You can't get that variety with Silkies.

My best broody, Molly, is essentially a blue partridge satin silkie. Just not quite to standard but she looks silkie. She's very photogenic.

I think using good quality satins would help to improve the partridge coloring on silkies. Can't see the pattern on the hens will silkied feathers to make it easy to breed for. Can see it on satins.

I've been working on a side project of a blue laying silkie to go with the earlobes. People have talked about it before, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing it. Still several generations to go, but it will get there. I haven't stabilized the blue egg gene yet. Only single copies in the offspring if they have it because I was trying to get back to silkie standard before working more on it. I have a possible candidate for male to use finally from the 2 eggs I hatched this time. The boy is looking pretty good so far and has a chance of carrying the blue egg gene as he came from a blue egg.

The eggs have a slight green cast to them because of the silkie tint.

20220623_140731.jpg

My best broody, Molly, is essentially a blue partridge satin silkie. Just not quite to standard but she looks silkie. She's very photogenic.

I think using good quality satins would help to improve the partridge coloring on silkies. Can't see the pattern on the hens will silkied feathers to make it easy to breed for. Can see it on satins.

I've been working on a side project of a blue laying silkie to go with the earlobes. People have talked about it before, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing it. Still several generations to go, but it will get there. I haven't stabilized the blue egg gene yet. Only single copies in the offspring if they have it because I was trying to get back to silkie standard before working more on it. I have a possible candidate for male to use finally from the 2 eggs I hatched this time. The boy is looking pretty good so far and has a chance of carrying the blue egg gene as he came from a blue egg.

View attachment 3160651
I really admire all you project breeding!!!
Very complex and involved for YEARS!!!

I really admire all you project breeding!!!
Very complex and involved for YEARS!!!

Thanks. There are years to go. Molly is part of that egg project. She lays a nice blue egg.

I only am actually working on my partridge and the egg project. There are a few just random other colors I keep because I like the look of them. I don't actually breed for them.

Thanks. There are years to go. Molly is part of that egg project. She lays a nice blue egg.

I only am actually working on my partridge and the egg project. There are a few just random other colors I keep because I like the look of them. I don't actually breed for them.
I knew I didn't have the "smarts" to understand the genetics stuff...but made efforts to do a porcelain satin project anyway...yeah only thing good out of it was my new 3 baby d'uccles!
Otherwise I really miss the incorrect color babies I rehomed!
I have 14 out of 18 in the incubator as we speak (just tossed 3 quitters and 1 BR). So this should give me back my paint, splash and the new color I've been trying to obtain for the past 2 hatches - BUFF!
Of course I say I'm done after this...but yeah well I said I wasn't hatching anymore for the next 6 months...n here I am only 10 weeks into that!
I need stronger 💪 accountability partners LOLOL

By chance do you still have the mottled chick? Wondered how it was growing out since my Bluey is totally different from first four weeks of life!
Oh...n please be a girl!!!

Bluey sure did change a lot! My two little mottled lost a lot of the white they had as youngsters too. The less mottled one never had much but lost most of it and just has a tiny bit of white under the chin/on the beard. I tried getting some pictures of the baby who had more white down as a chick a little over a week ago but they didn't turn out great. I'll include them anyway since blurry or not they give you a bit of an idea of how he is turning out (definitely a he as he is an early crower). 😂

He had more white just a month go but has been losing it. The mottled really do change a lot. It would be great if after a molt or two some more white came back in but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just hoping he keeps some in his crest because I think the white and black crest is really cute. 😁

Mottled boy.jpg

mottled boys face.jpg

I know what you mean and it is a real shame they can't be recognized as is. I love all the patterned varieties and you really miss out on that with the silkie feathers. 😕

If someone started something similar to a satin in type but changed enough things they could be considered another breed and recognized eventually (maybe something like comb type, number of toes, egg color, skin color, ear lobe color, etc) that might be pretty neat. I feel like it might step on some toes in the silkie and satin community though. I wouldn't mind losing out on things like the 5 toes and having another comb type if the beautiful silkie/satin type was still there. Not having to have the black skin would open up colors that aren't able to be recognized as silkies now too (like varieties involving barring where the boys pretty much always have red combs).

View attachment 3160651

Oh those are beautiful eggs, what a neat project! 🥰

Partridge seems tricky. I've got some red pyle like silkies and just can't find any correctly colored partridge boys (with black chests) to help clean up their chests so they are closer to proper pyle. Do you have much luck getting that black chest on your partridge boys? Or am I off and the chest can have red/gold on it in partridge silkie males and still be considered correct? Red pyle is more a side/fun project and probably not something I'll put a lot of effort into (I'm not a fan of the double mating system involved with pyles) but it still would be nice to figure out how to clean up the boys chests.

Back
Top Bottom