Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Bluey sure did change a lot! My two little mottled lost a lot of the white they had as youngsters too. The less mottled one never had much but lost most of it and just has a tiny bit of white under the chin/on the beard. I tried getting some pictures of the baby who had more white down as a chick a little over a week ago but they didn't turn out great. I'll include them anyway since blurry or not they give you a bit of an idea of how he is turning out (definitely a he as he is an early crower). 😂

He had more white just a month go but has been losing it. The mottled really do change a lot. It would be great if after a molt or two some more white came back in but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just hoping he keeps some in his crest because I think the white and black crest is really cute. 😁

View attachment 3161141
View attachment 3161142

I know what you mean and it is a real shame they can't be recognized as is. I love all the patterned varieties and you really miss out on that with the silkie feathers. 😕

If someone started something similar to a satin in type but changed enough things they could be considered another breed and recognized eventually (maybe something like comb type, number of toes, egg color, skin color, ear lobe color, etc) that might be pretty neat. I feel like it might step on some toes in the silkie and satin community though. I wouldn't mind losing out on things like the 5 toes and having another comb type if the beautiful silkie/satin type was still there. Not having to have the black skin would open up colors that aren't able to be recognized as silkies now too (like varieties involving barring where the boys pretty much always have red combs).

Oh those are beautiful eggs, what a neat project! 🥰

Partridge seems tricky. I've got some red pyle like silkies and just can't find any correctly colored partridge boys (with black chests) to help clean up their chests so they are closer to proper pyle. Do you have much luck getting that black chest on your partridge boys? Or am I off and the chest can have red/gold on it in partridge silkie males and still be considered correct? Red pyle is more a side/fun project and probably not something I'll put a lot of effort into (I'm not a fan of the double mating system involved with pyles) but it still would be nice to figure out how to clean up the boys chests.

Getting the proper black is very hard. That orange variant that crops up is a nightmare for partridge. Ive seen some very nice boys that make me jealous. Mine aren't as good as some I've seen.

This was one of mine.

partridge_family_by_seerisil_dahofj0-fullview.jpg

I'm looking to sell one of the 11 week old boys, the least spotted one.. what colour would I call him?
He has some yellowish tinge on his wings too but mostly white looking..
View attachment 3161145View attachment 3161144View attachment 3161146View attachment 3161147View attachment 3161148

Hmmm I'm not quite sure what I'd call him. Maybe just calling him a mixed color since he doesn't quite fit into an established color category. He is a cutie though, hopefully it won't be hard to rehome him. :)

Getting the proper black is very hard. That orange variant that crops up is a nightmare for partridge. Ive seen some very nice boys that make me jealous. Mine aren't as good as some I've seen.

This was one of mine.

View attachment 3161151

Thank you so much for the insight, my knowledge on proper partridge is definitely still lacking. And my your boy was just lovely (and the girls there too)! 😍

Hmmm I'm not quite sure what I'd call him. Maybe just calling him a mixed color since he doesn't quite fit into an established color category. He is a cutie though, hopefully it won't be hard to rehome him. :)

Thank you so much for the insight, my knowledge on proper partridge is definitely still lacking. And my your boy was just lovely (and the girls there too)! 😍
Thanks! Do you think he could produce random coloured offspring?

This (white coloured chick) is my 6 day old Silkie chick called Dumpling. Our second Silkie that we incubated from hatching eggs. So happy that she (hopefully a she) hatched. 😊

And this (dark coloured Silkie) is Luna, our 3 month old cockerel (we heard him crow recently). But I would like to confirm, to all your experienced eyes, does Luna look like a male?

Attachments

• IMG_20220623_195705.jpg
    IMG_20220623_195705.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220623_195554.jpg
    IMG_20220623_195554.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20220623-WA0064.jpeg
    IMG-20220623-WA0064.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 1
This (white coloured chick) is my 6 day old Silkie chick called Dumpling. Our second Silkie that we incubated from hatching eggs. So happy that she (hopefully a she) hatched. 😊

And this (dark coloured Silkie) is Luna, our 3 month old cockerel (we heard him crow recently). But I would like to confirm, to all your experienced eyes, does Luna look like a male?
Cute 😍
If he's crowing then yes most likely a cockerel. It is a bit hard to confirm with that one photo, do you have a full body and face/ front on photo of him showing his comb?

O.O , When I went out to lock up last night, and check on everyone, Poof Poof was up roosting with Shadow Captain and her little poofs were gathered together in the nest. The babies will be two weeks old tomorrow. Is that normal? Of course we are going through a heat wave atm. But it is down to 73 degrees over night. Should I be worried?

Back
Top Bottom