Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 791 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.7%

• Total voters
I have a single blue silkie, who never received a proper name. We refer to her (it) as Little One. She is 5 months, and has not shown any signs of egg laying. I what have your experiences been with silkies in regards to egg laying?

In my experience, it's a real mixture! :)

I've had some lay at 5 months but some that don't lay till 10 months.

As for how often they lay, some of mine lay pretty much everyday missing maybe one day a week, whereas others just lay one or two days a week.

These two posts were on a different thread so I hope the quotes work!

They show good photo examples.

It's hard to tell when they are fully grown but as chicks, non vaulted has a rounder more smoother flat shaped head whereas vaulted has a 'lump' on the top of their head.

I have been studying all these same questions for about 6 months and I'm afraid it would take a book to answer the ones I know. But, I can give you some partial answers.

Vaulted

Vaulted and Unvaulted side by side.

Some breeders prefer one and some the other. Vaulted chicks seem to develop fuller crests but are subject to head injuries as the skull is open like a human babies soft spot.
Bearded silkies are more popular at shows but non-bearded may also be shown. If you will go back to the beginning and read this entire thread as I did. You will learn most of what you want to know and then some. It is really great! Hope I helped some.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/13530

Just took this pic (regardless of the date stamp!) just about an hour ago. Chicks are 4 & 5 days old. The chick on the left in non-vaulted, the one on the right has a vaulted skull.

Back
Top Bottom