Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Have any of you guys ever used this brooder plate?

I've been wanting to get one since they use far less electricity than the infrared lamps.

If I get this one, I'll get the cover too.

IMG_1687.PNG

I've been wanting to get one since they use far less electricity than the infrared lamps.

View attachment 1975423
I've used the MHP, basically wrap a heat pad you already own around a metal bucket in my case. I always use the low setting as that brings em up to 95F/37C. It is also very low on power consumption I can't remember if mine is rated 20 or 40W but since it isn't maxed out obviously takes less power than its rated power.

For all of you who free range your Silkies:

I had posted my egg black lighting results in the following thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-blacklighting-for-eggs-hidden-nests.1341510/

Silkies came out with a very nice and bright pink glow. Just in case you are looking for hidden nests it might be worth a quick look.

Pardon the intrusion. :oops: More entries are needed!

N F C wrote:
Official BYC Mini Contest Series - Win one of Fifty (50) 2020 BYC Calendars!
"Tell us about your hobby, show us your egg basket, let's see pictures of your handmade holiday ornaments, or your family with a favorite backyard bird. Whichever you choose, we have a contest for you and with each contest we're giving away FIVE 2020 BYC Calendars!

Here are all of our mini contests:

Official BYC Mini Contest - What is Your Hobby?

Official BYC Mini Contest - Show Us Your Flock

Official BYC Mini Contest - Sneaky Broodies!

Official BYC Mini Contest - Handmade Holiday Decorations

Official BYC Mini Contest - Funny poultry faces and poses

Official BYC Mini Contest - Family and Fowl

Official BYC Mini Contest - Decorate a Cake, Cupcake or Cookie

Official BYC Mini Contest - Egg Basket Photo Contest

Official BYC Mini Contest - Fabulous Feather Photos

Official BYC Mini Contest - Flapping Fowl

Entries for all mini contests will be accepted until and including 9 December 2019 so don't wait too long to join in on the fun!"

My hobby is procrastinating I could totally compete at the olympic level there. Maybe I'll get around to writing something up about it tomorrow!

View attachment 1975423
I haven't yet, but planning on getting one sometime.

So when I out to the coop today (the chickens were all locked in, so no predators can get them) when my silkie roosters gave the air alarm. They give alarms all the time (only the silkie roos, not the OEGB), even at little robins and finches, so I wasn't alarmed. I started scolded them for getting worked up over a tiny bird even while they are safe in their run, when I look up and see a huge, mature bald eagle passing through only about 20 feet above :eek:(thankfully, it was only passing through and didn't show any interest in the chickens)!!! I am glad the cockerels are so observant, but now the hens and pullets ignore the alarms because they are given so often:he. Anyway, I am so proud of my brave silkies trying to keep their flock safe!

Last edited:
So when I out to the coop today (the chickens were all locked in, so no predators can get them) when my silkie roosters gave the air alarm. They give alarms all the time (only the silkie roos, not the OEGB), even at little robins and finches, so I wasn't alarmed. I started scolded them for getting worked up over a tiny bird even while they are safe in their run, when I look up and see a huge, mature bald eagle passing through only about 20 feet above :eek:(thankfully, it was only passing through and didn't show any interest in the chickens)!!! I am glad the cockerels are so observant, but now the hens and pullets ignore the alarms because they are given so often:he. Anyway, I am so proud of my brave silkies trying to keep their flock safe!
I had a huge bald eagle pass over our coop a couple months ago. It cruised low, & slow.

Back
Top Bottom