Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 793 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
He is a cutie! :love

The vulture hock thing is something I've wondered about as well. Some of my silkies seem to have something like that. I'm not sure if they are vulture hocks but I believe from what I read about it that as long as there is no hard feathering there it should be alright. I do believe vulture hocks are genetic. I'm not really worrying too much about it in my own silkies as all the feathering is soft.
Good, I was getting worried! Thank you!

I have had a lot of trouble with broodies this year!

First, Skye (silkie) went broody so I let her hatch two silkie-game bantam mixes, Heather and Picket.

Falcon, a bantam Orpington, attempted to go broody in a nesting box three feet above the ground, no ramp! I broke her.

Skye went broody a second time, and a week in Piper (also silkie) joined her in the same nesting box. But once the chicks were about a week old Skye hogged them and Piper kept trying to brood. I didn't want her to starve, but she was tough and it took me two whole weeks to break her. (By the way, out of four chicks, only one was a girl)

Falcon tried to go broody again, along with my other bantam Orp, Alex. It took me a week to break Alex and two to break Falcon.

Then the six month old silkie-game bantam mix, Heather, went broody under the coop. I didn't even know she was laying yet! Anyways, I didn't feel like breaking her so I let her do what she wanted (okay, maybe I encouraged a bit) and she hatched a single chick. But when the chick was only a day old my cat grabbed it and ran away. We got the chick back, but with a small hole in her head we didn't think she would make it. We left in our trip and when we got back the chick was gone.

And now Skye is trying to go broody again. I am so done with chicks and broodies this year! I am breaking her. Stubborn silkies....I love you but I need eggs and peace too!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my silkies!🥰 They are so fluffy. I love my Cochins they are my main focus but silkies always and I mean always have a special spot in my heart. Right now I have 3 hens. Then a little pullet 🤞 and a beautiful pullet but I don’t know what to do because she only has one leg to use so I need to find either a home for her or face the awful truth😭. I have 35 future show birds in the incubator so I’m hoping to get back into these amazing chickens. (Mom keeps saying to get out of them because you know...what people say about them........) I will never ever part with all silkies!❤️♥️

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my silkies!🥰 They are so fluffy. I love my Cochins they are my main focus but silkies always and I mean always have a special spot in my heart. Right now I have 3 hens. Then a little pullet 🤞 and a beautiful pullet but I don’t know what to do because she only has one leg to use so I need to find either a home for her or face the awful truth😭. I have 35 future show birds in the incubator so I’m hoping to get back into these amazing chickens. (Mom keeps saying to get out of them because you know...what people say about them........) I will never ever part with all silkies!❤♥
Don't get out of chickens...that is a sad fate. :p

Welcome to the thread! I love cochins, and I think everybody here loves silkies!

Don't get out of chickens...that is a sad fate. :p

Welcome to the thread! I love cochins, and I think everybody here loves silkies!
😊thank you! Yeah she’s not a silkie fan just a cochin and colorful layers. The fun thing is that the reason I have Cochins is due to my silkies. I saw this beautiful Patridge for sale so we went to get her and they became great friends and a little later we got some Cochins from them!

😊thank you! Yeah she’s not a silkie fan just a cochin and colorful layers. The fun thing is that the reason I have Cochins is due to my silkies. I saw this beautiful Patridge for sale so we went to get her and they became great friends and a little later we got some Cochins from them!
Aw, how sweet! I kept a bantam Cochin once, I will definitely get this breed again if I move to a colder climate!

Mine do pretty good in warm California summers😊. My silkies hate the heat :hit
That's good! My silkies do well the heat, but my Cochin died because of it. Not a repeat experience because I was so attached to her. Also, her name was Hennypenny-my-sweet-chicken, my grandpa's name idea! :lol:

White chocolate with a clean cage🥰❤️♥️
799833EC-4660-44CE-9F18-52F4108FF172.jpeg
3E64BD9A-ED7B-41B2-B792-67F7D12A9346.jpeg

That's good! My silkies do well the heat, but my Cochin died because of it. Not a repeat experience because I was so attached to her. Also, her name was Hennypenny-my-sweet-chicken, my grandpa's name idea! :lol:
I’ve so far knock on wood only lost 2 Cochins which that was hard because one was right after a horse show I came home to a dead bird😢. And I think one hen was also heat but it might just be one to heat. I have lost like 2-3 full grown silkies and chicks to heat.

Back
Top Bottom