Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Just sold my little 8 week old white cockerel and with him went a possible pullet to seal the deal. They went to a good home they'll be cared for so that is good :)
... Can't sell every cockerel with a pullet though so what do you do if they don't sell, any of you eat them? I don't think I could ever eat a fluffy little Silkie! I have only killed one once when it was sick. It was horrible!
IMG_20210117_104659.jpg

Question!
I had a black silkie roo I got from a cousin who couldn't keep him, (he's passed on now).
Pandy was his name, he was cute but very raggy looking, is that just typical silkie looks?
Plus, are they really smart and cuddly, plus how do you tell hens from roos, and does either sex have better personalities?

Question!
I had a black silkie roo I got from a cousin who couldn't keep him, (he's passed on now).
Pandy was his name, he was cute but very raggy looking, is that just typical silkie looks?
Plus, are they really smart and cuddly, plus how do you tell hens from roos, and does either sex have better personalities?
Can you post a pic of your rooster?
I don't think they look raggy, they regularly preen and dust bath like a normal chicken so shouldn't be raggy? If he's not keeping himself tidy then maybe he is sick?
..Some are smart and cuddly, depends on the individual chicken like with any breed although Silkies are known to be docile some are not. Also if their crest obscures their vision they can bump into things so often I trim mine if it is a little too fluffy.

..I'm sure there is an article on byc about Silkie gender, it is hard to tell sometimes at a few months old or untill they crow or lay an egg. Comb, streamers, crest, stance, behaviour are a few things. But there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here that know Silkies very well and can help make a guess if you post some pics of Silkies in question.

Hope I could help answer some of your questions, other people I'm sure will chime in to give you further info.

Can you post a pic of your rooster?
I don't think they look raggy, they regularly preen and dust bath like a normal chicken so shouldn't be raggy? If he's not keeping himself tidy then maybe he is sick?
..Some are smart and cuddly, depends on the individual chicken like with any breed although Silkies are known to be docile some are not. Also if their crest obscures their vision they can bump into things so often I trim mine if it is a little too fluffy.

..I'm sure there is an article on byc about Silkie gender, it is hard to tell sometimes at a few months old or untill they crow or lay an egg. Comb, streamers, crest, stance, behaviour are a few things. But there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here that know Silkies very well and can help make a guess if you post some pics of Silkies in question.

Hope I could help answer some of your questions, other people I'm sure will chime in to give you further info.
He's dead, he passed away quite a long time ago.
I am curious about the breed, in case I wanted to get another one in the future.
Thanks.
-Roosty-

Back
Top Bottom