Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
So are there splash silkies as well? When my cochin was a new chick, i thought she might be lavender.. took a few weeks before i could see the little flecks of black on the barbs of the feathers.
Hi @AngBantamLuv, So sorry you had to rehome your silkies! 🙁
Haven't seen you on here for awhile.
Photo of my always broody girl, Layla. I thought she was lavender too as a chick until she developed the splash markings.
IMG_3233.jpg

Oh no! I know the pain! I ordered 8 paint eggs from Northwoods Poultry and they thankfully sent me 2 free buff silkies and 2 free olive eggers because only 2 of the 8 paints are fertile and developing. My rates aren't near as awful as your's and I feel so bad for you!
Thanks! 🥰 All part of the learning process. I did get one little pretty paint chick. Just sent the egg shell out for DNA testing, will be kept either way.
Can't wait to see what you hatch!😊

Hi @AngBantamLuv, So sorry you had to rehome your silkies! 🙁
Haven't seen you on here for awhile.
Photo of my always broody girl, Layla. I thought she was lavender too as a chick until she developed the splash markings.View attachment 2614045
Oh my goodness she is soooo beautiful!! I was actually too sad to look at silkie pics for a while, but im better now. My girls are living in an organic garden! The first day there, Bella took a 2 hour long dust bath!! So needless to say, they are in chicken heaven!

This cochin is so so pretty now.. i just absolutely love the splash coloring. she just finished molting, but i am going to give her and the D'uccles spa baths this week, and then a proper photo shoot 🤣

Oh my goodness she is soooo beautiful!! I was actually too sad to look at silkie pics for a while, but im better now. My girls are living in an organic garden! The first day there, Bella took a 2 hour long dust bath!! So needless to say, they are in chicken heaven!

This cochin is so so pretty now.. i just absolutely love the splash coloring. she just finished molting, but i am going to give her and the D'uccles spa baths this week, and then a proper photo shoot 🤣
Can't wait to see photos! Last time I saw your cochins, they were still babies!
So the cochins and D'uccles are still doing well as house chickens? Did you get their mansion built for them?
Do you know what it was about the silkies that made them less suitable for house living?
So awesome you were able to find such a lovely home for them!❤️

Can't wait to see photos! Last time I saw your cochins, they were still babies!
So the cochins and D'uccles are still doing well as house chickens? Did you get their mansion built for them?
Do you know what it was about the silkies that made them less suitable for house living?
So awesome you were able to find such a lovely home for them!❤️
Yes, i was so lucky to find a nearby person who also is on BYC.. and she sent me transition pics 😆 i know it sounds silly, i just get so attached.

So.. having them indoors 100%, the constant broody breaking was difficult, because it was constant, in a separate cage, with no litter, so poopy smells were all over the house and stuck to the silkie feathers. Also, they realllly are as loud as a big chicken when it comes to their egg songs (might have just been mine) and they sang for everyone's eggs 🤣, and finally, they seemed to really want to forage, like that instinct to do chicken stuff was really strong.. whereas the D'uccles were ok sitting on the couch watching tv. The fact that they took to the new home so quickly, and even integrated w the other silkies and cochins made me realize it was the right decision for them.

Space wise, i could only keep one of the cochins.. i reallllly loved the feel of the blue frizzle, but she was a bit mean.. so she went with the insurance chicks to a little boys backyard. I just kept Elsa..

Here are some newer ones, but she is fluffed and full feathered now.. she loves to be held and falls asleep instantly. She and the duccles get along really well, although there was a pecking order upheavel. Things are settled now and they even preen each other throughout the day.

20210407_075145.jpg 20210302_183713.jpg 20210122_180006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom