Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Thank you! 🥰

I thought you would like to see this one-View attachment 2880423
Aww adorable! 😁
How do you know when it's ok to move your silkies outside? My little flock is getting pretty rambunctious for their brooder (well, two of them at least while the others have no room to get out of the way of their crazy antics). They're off heat but indoors at a constant 62-66, lows will be in the mid-50's in the ten day forecast. The younger three turned five weeks old on Monday. The little silkie is just so much smaller than everyone and seems slower to feather.

I wait at least until they are completely feathered if it isn't very warm. This usually is 6 weeks at minimum but can be longer. I probably wait too long a lot of the time though. My last group didn't go outside until around 10 weeks and I still worry about them getting chilly (of course temps had to start dropping only a few days after I put them out). :rolleyes: :lol:

If I hatched cute fluffies like those I couldn't resist keeping them! :love..all!

I keep most of the ones I hatch and did the separate coop thing last year for roosters that I didn't sell and pullets to be sold that I weren't happy with (e.g. red comb). I am thinking of buying fertile eggs to add different genetics though I want to know behaviour and health background before buying.
If I may ask..
What color is your rooster and what color was the hen? I am considering breeding my black silkie rooster to my 2 white females.one a silkie one a satin silkie x.I was wondering would I also get this paint color? They are so beautful!

Attachments

• 20211028_102623.jpg
    20211028_102623.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1
If I may ask..
What color is your rooster and what color was the hen? I am considering breeding my black silkie rooster to my 2 white females.one a silkie one a satin silkie x.I was wondering would I also get this paint color? They are so beautful!
I don't know the answer to this, but wanted to tell you that your pumpkin carved chicken is quite impressive!! I wish I had the patience for such lovely carving!! :)

If I may ask..

@LynnaePB is the paint expert, but I will try to answer your question. 😊
Paint is created by DOMINANT white crossed to black. Once you have a paint, this can be crossed to another paint, a dominant white or a black and you will get some paint chicks (you can also get more dominant whites or blacks). Other colors can be used with the paint, but this depends on what your goals are.
Most white silkies are RECESSIVE white.
The only way to know for sure is to test breed your white hens with the black rooster. Recessive whites can "hide" other colors, often partridge. Test breeding can also help determine what other colors may be at play with recessive white.
Most likely your girls are recessive white and crossed to a black rooster will give you black chicks. Only way to find out is to try it and see.
These cuties just hatched late yesterday and last night. They are in the dryer waiting to be moved over to the brooder.😊
94BEC133-C6D9-48F9-BE69-E39A4C4A2F11.jpeg

@LynnaePB is the paint expert, but I will try to answer your question. 😊
Paint is created by DOMINANT white crossed to black. Once you have a paint, this can be crossed to another paint, a dominant white or a black and you will get some paint chicks (you can also get more dominant whites or blacks). Other colors can be used with the paint, but this depends on what your goals are.
Most white silkies are RECESSIVE white.
The only way to know for sure is to test breed your white hens with the black rooster. Recessive whites can "hide" other colors, often partridge. Test breeding can also help determine what other colors may be at play with recessive white.
Most likely your girls are recessive white and crossed to a black rooster will give you black chicks. Only way to find out is to try it and see.
These cuties just hatched late yesterday and last night. They are in the dryer waiting to be moved over to the brooder.😊View attachment 2880958
Thank you so much! No matter what they turn out I am sure I will love them.I really have been wanting a paint or splash .

How do you know when it's ok to move your silkies outside? My little flock is getting pretty rambunctious for their brooder (well, two of them at least while the others have no room to get out of the way of their crazy antics). They're off heat but indoors at a constant 62-66, lows will be in the mid-50's in the ten day forecast. The younger three turned five weeks old on Monday. The little silkie is just so much smaller than everyone and seems slower to feather.
Mine have a a broody for warmth and are outside all the time, from around 2 weeks old mother hen takes them out of the coop- they seem to not go under mother hen often at all and it's around 10-16 degrees Celsius here during the day.
For sure at 6 weeks I'd have them outside and have a draft free area (coop) they can go to anytime and snuggle together if cold. And if you notice they are often huddled up together then maybe they still need to have some warmth inside for a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom