Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters

Aww congratulations on more new babies!!! :celebrate

How many ended up hatching from the shipped eggs? :)

Question: is there a thread here where you can see a chick and adult pic side by side of silkies so we can better understand the coloring from chick to adult?
Would LUV to see this across the world with silkies!
I have 3 blue, 1 black and 4 not sure...partridge maybe? I'm really curious as to how their colors cha ge through their growth as well as when you can start to see the satin vs standard progression.
If there isn't a thread already would this make for a good ongoing thread?

I'm not sure about if there is one already (if there was it must not be active anymore). But it sounds like a really fun thread idea! 😊

I've got a few pictures of some of my birds as newly hatched babies and then as adults/older juveniles. I'm afraid I don't often take the in between pictures when they are growing out but probably have a few. I will say chick down can sometimes be pretty deceiving though so doesn't always give a great idea of what they might turn out like as adults (especially if coming from a mixed color background).

As for being able to tell satin vs silkie feathering I'd say you can usually tell at 1-2 weeks. I don't have a lot of experience with this myself but I've heard this repeated by breeders/hobbyists who do. Seeing pictures posted and comparing my silkie babies feathering to regular feathered breeds I've hatched it does seem to be pretty obvious within the first couple weeks. 😊

Editing to add

@LadiesAndJane posted a really great example of silkie vs smooth feathering in young chicks a bit ago in this thread. Here is a link, it's post #5979

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkies-they’re-simply-spectacular.1334299/post-25025574

Last edited:
Aww congratulations on more new babies!!! :celebrate

How many ended up hatching from the shipped eggs? :)

I'm not sure about if there is one already (if there was it must not be active anymore). But it sounds like a really fun thread idea! 😊

I've got a few pictures of some of my birds as newly hatched babies and then as adults/older juveniles. I'm afraid I don't often take the in between pictures when they are growing out but probably have a few. I will say chick down can sometimes be pretty deceiving though so doesn't always give a great idea of what they might turn out like as adults (especially if coming from a mixed color background).

As for being able to tell satin vs silkie feathering I'd say you can usually tell at 1-2 weeks. I don't have a lot of experience with this myself but I've heard this repeated by breeders/hobbyists who do. Seeing pictures posted and comparing my silkie babies feathering to regular feathered breeds I've hatched it does seem to be pretty obvious within the first couple weeks. 😊

Editing to add

@LadiesAndJane posted a really great example of silkie vs smooth feathering in young chicks a bit ago in this thread. Here is a link, it's post #5979

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkies-they’re-simply-spectacular.1334299/post-25025574
Ok thank u! Just an idea...I'm new to chickens so I'll leave that to u more experienced. Would LUV to see pics though! I'll check out that post. Thank u!

@LadiesAndJane do you think these are both satins?
They are 2 weeks old today. And what color would this be considered?
First 2 pics are same chick (Smokey)
Last 2 are other chick

Attachments

• 20211129_153054.jpg
    20211129_153054.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211129_153044.jpg
    20211129_153044.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211129_151550.jpg
    20211129_151550.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211129_151449.jpg
    20211129_151449.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 2
@LadiesAndJane do you think these are both satins?
They are 2 weeks old today. And what color would this be considered?
First 2 pics are same chick (Smokey)
Last 2 are other chick
Yes looks like they are both satin and they both look like they are Partridge or some variation of this. Cute chicks!🥰

Yes looks like they are both satin and they both look like they are Partridge or some variation of this. Cute chicks!🥰
YEA!!! I was hoping for 2 satins like their mom in Alabama that I fell in luv with on Instagram! Sure hope one turns out like her - a pencil-laced satin silkie?
Unsure if they're on BYC or not...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-185019_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-185019_Instagram.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 2
I haven’t been on for quite a while and took a bit of time to catch up with all the posts! 🤣
Everybody’s hatching such lovely chicks! 😍
Just had my last chicks hatch on Saturday. Here’s a photo of the very last chick, interesting markings this one has, one leg is completely black and the other one is pink! This one is already sold.The paints were quite popular so I have a few of the black ones left that I think I’ll grow out and sell later off heat. I have 6 chicks left, including the 3 Polkies.
Hatched a total of 55 chicks in the past 7 weeks. I don’t think I’ll be doing that again anytime soon! 🤣

Had a batch of chicks that all came out black and all of them had vaulted skulls! Some of those vaults were so big they needed to be helped out of the shells. Only a few of the paints had vaulted skulls. It’s very interesting how this is passed down genetically. Not quite sure I understand it fully.
Anyway, hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving and looking forward to the holidays.❤️
87DACE17-C7CA-4AB4-95EC-82A4C965F955.jpeg
9ABEDD64-8BB2-414D-BF38-B6DC03392A66.jpeg

Wow, she is gorgeous!! Where did you find her on IG? I want one too!! 😍😍😍
Fielder Farms
Such a sweet lady...I asked for 2...she suggested 4 for atleast 2 hatch rate...then she sent me SIX!
All were fertilized and did extremely well (especially since my FIRST time ever doing this) and only one never internally pipped.

I haven’t been on for quite a while and took a bit of time to catch up with all the posts! 🤣
Everybody’s hatching such lovely chicks! 😍
Just had my last chicks hatch on Saturday. Here’s a photo of the very last chick, interesting markings this one has, one leg is completely black and the other one is pink! This one is already sold.The paints were quite popular so I have a few of the black ones left that I think I’ll grow out and sell later off heat. I have 6 chicks left, including the 3 Polkies.
Hatched a total of 55 chicks in the past 7 weeks. I don’t think I’ll be doing that again anytime soon! 🤣

Had a batch of chicks that all came out black and all of them had vaulted skulls! Some of those vaults were so big they needed to be helped out of the shells. Only a few of the paints had vaulted skulls. It’s very interesting how this is passed down genetically. Not quite sure I understand it fully.
Anyway, hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving and looking forward to the holidays.❤️View attachment 2913632View attachment 2913633
Wow! 55 in 7 weeks! That’s a lot of little floofers! 😍 I’m having baby chick withdrawals…but I really don’t have more space for anymore 😩😩😩

Fielder Farms
Such a sweet lady...I asked for 2...she suggested 4 for atleast 2 hatch rate...then she sent me SIX!
All were fertilized and did extremely well (especially since my FIRST time ever doing this) and only one never internally pipped.
Thanks! I will follow her and when I have some space, I might just have to get some! 😁

Back
Top Bottom