Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
we are going to have low temperatures for at least a week. my 8 silkie babies are staying in my spare bedroom. as they are chicks from my beautiful roo killed by dogs I will not take chances to keep them outside. when it gets warmer I will let them out for a few sunny ours only. it is hard for me but better safe than sorry.
I don't blame u at all!
Last temp drop my husband recommended we bring them all in the garage which was 50° warmer...this time he didn't and after reading soooooo many comments on byc bout how they are equipped and able to handle even temps below 0 I felt stupid for bringing them inside.
Now it's the coldest it has been and I noticed Mango standing on one leg...I checked to make sure he doesn't have any injuries or Bumble foot...he seems good and doing his little dance to the babies now. (Guess I need to stop calling them babies as they'll be 10 weeks old Monday!)
So Googled it since I didn't see anything on byc and it says they do that for warmth.
Now I feel awful!
I mean if cities have laws that say you can't leave your dog outside in certain weather wouldn't that be true of other animals too?
I'm in a subdivision and hate to get reported ya know.

I don't blame u at all!
Last temp drop my husband recommended we bring them all in the garage which was 50° warmer...this time he didn't and after reading soooooo many comments on byc bout how they are equipped and able to handle even temps below 0 I felt stupid for bringing them inside.
Now it's the coldest it has been and I noticed Mango standing on one leg...I checked to make sure he doesn't have any injuries or Bumble foot...he seems good and doing his little dance to the babies now. (Guess I need to stop calling them babies as they'll be 10 weeks old Monday!)
So Googled it since I didn't see anything on byc and it says they do that for warmth.
Now I feel awful!
I mean if cities have laws that say you can't leave your dog outside in certain weather wouldn't that be true of other animals too?
I'm in a subdivision and hate to get reported ya know.

I had silkies a few years ago. they did fine in winter. I am overprotective with these special babies only.

the funny part of my silkie story is: I gave all of my chickens to friends when I started to build my new house (still not finished). I had 1 roo and 4 hens. 1 hen had some respiratory issues but was not culled as she got broody. she was/is good mother as well. and she is the only one that is still alive and brood the chicks - still at my friends. all the rest died whithin a year.

I had silkies a few years ago. they did fine in winter. I am overprotective with these special babies only.

the funny part of my silkie story is: I gave all of my chickens to friends when I started to build my new house (still not finished). I had 1 roo and 4 hens. 1 hen had some respiratory issues but was not culled as she got broody. she was/is good mother as well. and she is the only one that is still alive and brood the chicks - still at my friends. all the rest died whithin a year.
That's awful! I totally get it!

I had the same experience with pet birds.. i was moving and had friends beg for them... all dead. And 20 years later they accidentally let it slip how horrible of a death (*forgot * their cage outside and they got killed by fire ants).

I think chickens can deal better with cold, it just depends on the setup they are in. I just bought a chicken heater for our cold snap.

It's been a couple years but I'm trying my luck with shipped eggs again. I've got 9 mille satin (at least I think they are all satin) eggs that just came today that I'm planning on setting tomorrow. They didn't have to go too far so I really hope something will hatch. If even one does I'll consider that a win! I'll be incubating a few eggs from a couple silkie pairs of my own along with them. 😊
Can't wait to see what you hatch! Mille Fleur Satin sounds gorgeous! 😍
Do you have any photos from the breeder of the parents?
My first set of eggs are on DAY 17! :wee

Back
Top Bottom