Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Funny, you can easily tell which polish i think is male.. its as big as the D'uccle!!

20220122_111209.jpg

Im still keeping an eye on the smallest silkie chick. She is running around and eating and drinking and jumping over the bigger chicks... but.. i notice her crop still looks full in the mornings. Any thoughts or suggestions? Or should i just leave her be? She seems to be acting ok.

Funny, you can easily tell which polish i think is male.. its as big as the D'uccle!!

View attachment 2968704

Im still keeping an eye on the smallest silkie chick. She is running around and eating and drinking and jumping over the bigger chicks... but.. i notice her crop still looks full in the mornings. Any thoughts or suggestions? Or should i just leave her be? She seems to be acting ok.
This is before she has access to food? Have you monitored her poop overnight? Could you sort of seperate her at night but within same area so you can see her poo? ...maybe something stuck?- impacted crop? Smell from beak? Is her crop squishy in the morning? 🤔

Now I have 3 broodies! 1 on eggs (Char) and Puff is on day 3 in broody jail cage and still laying eggs inside the cage daily! And now Smokey is broody too -just put her in another jail cage! I decided it's best to allow just 1 to hatch eggs and have a week or 2 with chicks before I allow another to start sitting on eggs. Then they can be in the broody coop on their own in peace.

This is before she has access to food? Have you monitored her poop overnight? Could you sort of seperate her at night but within same area so you can see her poo? ...maybe something stuck?- impacted crop? Smell from beak? Is her crop squishy in the morning? 🤔
Its before she has any food. She did have pasty butt, which i cleaned and then started treating everyone w corid. After starting corid she was much more energetic. After washing her pasty butt previously, i would wait until she pooped, and they looked very normal (although something was up or it wouldn't have been sticking in the first place).

They currently have access to grit and are still on corid. I was sort of afraid to apply pressure to her crop. I'll hold her again to see what her poop looks like now, but I'm not seeing anything strange in the litter.

Its before she has any food. She did have pasty butt, which i cleaned and then started treating everyone w corid. After starting corid she was much more energetic. After washing her pasty butt previously, i would wait until she pooped, and they looked very normal (although something was up or it wouldn't have been sticking in the first place).

They currently have access to grit and are still on corid. I was sort of afraid to apply pressure to her crop. I'll hold her again to see what her poop looks like now, but I'm not seeing anything strange in the litter.
As long as she is acting ok, I wouldn’t worry too much. Keep a close eye on her though.😊
You can also start weighing her if you have a small scale. I use a kitchen scale.
You can weigh her daily or every few days, to make sure she is not losing weight.
Around the same time of day each time.
If she seems to not be emptying her crop, and she is losing weight or just not gaining weight, you can try giving her the contents of 2 dulcolax capsules mixed with yogurt or something similar that she won’t mind eating. You may have to use a syringe.
I have used this a few times on birds of different ages with good effect. I found out about the dulcolax trick here on BYC.

As long as she is acting ok, I wouldn’t worry too much. Keep a close eye on her though.😊
You can also start weighing her if you have a small scale. I use a kitchen scale.
You can weigh her daily or every few days, to make sure she is not losing weight.
Around the same time of day each time.
If she seems to not be emptying her crop, and she is losing weight or just not gaining weight, you can try giving her the contents of 2 dulcolax capsules mixed with yogurt or something similar that she won’t mind eating. You may have to use a syringe.
I have used this a few times on birds of different ages with good effect. I found out about the dulcolax trick here on BYC.
Ive noticed the crop issue all along.. ill give her a couple more days on the corid, in case its related. If i don't see an improvement, ill try that. I don't have a kitchen scale, and im anti kitchen gizmo 😆. But she has seemed too small all along.

So the therapy pet lady never contacted me this morning like she promised so I gave the boys to someone else who wanted both of them. They are now enjoying their new home.... And I am feeling relieved that I didn't have to cull them.

I don't think I'm going to let the girls hatch out any more chicks this spring unless I'm sure I can build a bigger coop. There's already 7 babies from the last broody (Elsa). I really hope most of them AREN'T boys....

What's annoying is that I've advertised those boys at least 6 times and got no takers. This time I got 6 people! Ugh...

So the therapy pet lady never contacted me this morning like she promised so I gave the boys to someone else who wanted both of them. They are now enjoying their new home.... And I am feeling relieved that I didn't have to cull them.

I don't think I'm going to let the girls hatch out any more chicks this spring unless I'm sure I can build a bigger coop. There's already 7 babies from the last broody (Elsa). I really hope most of them AREN'T boys....

What's annoying is that I've advertised those boys at least 6 times and got no takers. This time I got 6 people! Ugh...
So happy you found a home for them.❤️

Can't wait to see what you hatch! Mille Fleur Satin sounds gorgeous! 😍
Do you have any photos from the breeder of the parents?
My first set of eggs are on DAY 17! :wee

I don't personally but she does have a facebook page and a few of her milles can be found in the photos. I don't think she posts pictures of her breeding stock very often so you kind of have to go back a ways to find them. I originally wanted to get just mottled eggs after seeing her most recent post showing some of her mottled satins but when I found out she had mille too I couldn't resist. I know she had a lot of people interested after she posted pictures of her mottled in different groups about a week ago. I didn't want to take up too much of her time asking for more pictures since I assumed she was probably having to respond to a lot of people already. The mottled have a wait list so I'll be getting them when she gets to me on her list but the milles were available right away. 😊

https://www.facebook.com/Alabama-Silkie-Mama-1730858586953050/?ref=page_internal

Oh your babies are so close, I can't wait to see what hatches!!! 😍

They were such pretty boys, I'm surprised it took so many times posting before people finally started to take notice! I am so glad you were able to find them homes! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom