Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I don't personally but she does have a facebook page and a few of her milles can be found in the photos. I don't think she posts pictures of her breeding stock very often so you kind of have to go back a ways to find them. I originally wanted to get just mottled eggs after seeing her most recent post showing some of her mottled satins but when I found out she had mille too I couldn't resist. I know she had a lot of people interested after she posted pictures of her mottled in different groups about a week ago. I didn't want to take up too much of her time asking for more pictures since I assumed she was probably having to respond to a lot of people already. The mottled have a wait list so I'll be getting them when she gets to me on her list but the milles were available right away. 😊

https://www.facebook.com/Alabama-Silkie-Mama-1730858586953050/?ref=page_internal
Wow, what beautiful birds she has! 😍
According to a posting from mid-December on her facebook page, looks like she was selling most of her flock due to some personal issues. Sounds like you were lucky to get some eggs!😊

So the therapy pet lady never contacted me this morning like she promised so I gave the boys to someone else who wanted both of them. They are now enjoying their new home.... And I am feeling relieved that I didn't have to cull them.

I don't think I'm going to let the girls hatch out any more chicks this spring unless I'm sure I can build a bigger coop. There's already 7 babies from the last broody (Elsa). I really hope most of them AREN'T boys....

What's annoying is that I've advertised those boys at least 6 times and got no takers. This time I got 6 people! Ugh...

you are a wise person. I first hatch than think where to keep chicks:lau if I wait to build a new coop or move to my new place first I will die without hatching any chicks.

Puff is gone 4 days and nights in the cage, continues to lay eggs in the cage and just now I let her out and she went straight to the nest box :barnie
Should I just let her sit on some eggs!? How do think it will work being in the same coop area as Char? If Char's eggs hatch might Puff leave her eggs since hers won't be due for weeks later?

give her 1 of char's eggs and let them brood chicks together. if you give her new eggs she probably will get up when char's eggs hatch. unless you have incubator and finish hatching there.

Oh that is neat! I've seen mottled, porcelain, and of course the mille fleurs but not brown red or the white before.

And yeah the eggs are mille fleur satin silkies. I usually don't include the silkie at the end of satin even though they are genetically nearly the same. This is just because it is my understanding that the one who started breeding them seriously in hopes of getting them recognized in the first place was turned down as having them recognized as a silkie variety. After that the name Satin was adopted as the project breed name. They were originally called sizzles and that term is still floating around and used by some. I think right now they are too similar to silkies to be eligible to be recognized as a new breed and because they don't have silkie feathers they cannot be recognized as a silkie. Because they are bred to the same standard as a silkie other than feather type they can be bred with silkies and the resulting offspring are not considered mix breeds but either pure silkies or pure satins depending on feather type. It gets confusing and a lot of people don't agree on variety names and whether they are silkies or a different breed. 😅

Oh they are cuties! I hope you get a great hatch as well, so exciting! 😁
That’s really interesting! It sounds like Satins/Silkies are kind of like Saanen and Sable goats, which are registered based on color 😃
Oh she sells eggs for delivery... here is her page.. i bought my paints from someone who hatched some of her eggs.

https://www.facebook.com/White-Willow-Farms-Silkies-Honeybees-100836158069644/

She also sells a mixed dozen eggs of paints, mauves and chocolates 😍
Now following! ❤️

Now I have 3 broodies! 1 on eggs (Char) and Puff is on day 3 in broody jail cage and still laying eggs inside the cage daily! And now Smokey is broody too -just put her in another jail cage! I decided it's best to allow just 1 to hatch eggs and have a week or 2 with chicks before I allow another to start sitting on eggs. Then they can be in the broody coop on their own in peace.
Congrats!

Ideal poultry has both white and brown-red D'uccles.. i haven't seen the white often anywhere else, and they are the only ones who have a brown-red.. they were random lucky bantam bin picks for me. They really are just the sweetest little breed.
I was just looking at these on Ideal yesterday! The golden neck are also gorgeous! I wish I could afford to get a bunch of them…one in each color. I am just not sure I can do anymore SR roulette 😩 there don’t seem to be a ton of d’Uccle options here locally that I can find though! Dilemma 😆 I also discovered Olandsk dwarf chickens! They’re SO cute! Someone near me is starting to raise them and sell eggs so I am tempted! They’re a rare heritage breed…I sure wish I had oodles of space!

I was just looking at these on Ideal yesterday! The golden neck are also gorgeous! I wish I could afford to get a bunch of them…one in each color. I am just not sure I can do anymore SR roulette 😩 there don’t seem to be a ton of d’Uccle options here locally that I can find though! Dilemma 😆 I also discovered Olandsk dwarf chickens! They’re SO cute! Someone near me is starting to raise them and sell eggs so I am tempted! They’re a rare heritage breed…I sure wish I had oodles of space!
Oh id love a golden neck too!!!

Back
Top Bottom