Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 791 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.7%

• Total voters
It gets hot here as well but it's really helped that I was able to place their pens next to the tree line where they get lots of natural shade during the day. I'm not sure how well they'll cope when temperature raise into the 90s or break 100 but they've been coping pretty well with temperatures in the 80s. Some seem to be more tolerant than others and I'm glad that the majority of the flock seem to be fairly comfortable even in midday.

Pics of a couple 14 week olds, I'm loving the orange!! 😍
Jaffa, Chip and Bluey are the 3 orangey ones ..
View attachment 3103485
View attachment 3103486View attachment 3103487View attachment 3103488

Bluey is lighter orange... The name because I had to put blue dye on her foot when a chick ☺️

View attachment 3103489View attachment 3103490

Aww so gorgeous! 🥰 I'm sorry your little Christmas chick is looking like a boy though, I can see why you think so and boy is what I'd say now as well. 😕

Puller or Cockerel? 6 months old. Acts like a girl

3927c6de-9b67-4d03-8991-1641d4c4610e-jpeg.3103567
View attachment 3103568View attachment 3103569
View attachment 3103570

I'd say this little one is looking more cockerel like but with these little ones with this kind of crest I have a harder time telling.

Hello my fellow Silkie friends! Missed being here.❤️
Well I’ve caught up on the thread and I’m going to post some update photos!😊
Niko laid her first egg at 5 1/2 months old! Early for my birds but her mom, who was from a different line, also started laying about this age. Her slightly older sister Lilikoi has not even started squatting yet.
Had the birds out yesterday as it was my first day off in a while. And the first day without rain for a while as well!😃
Still working on integrating the above two ladies into the flock. They keep to themselves but are getting along better with the older hens.

View attachment 3103929View attachment 3103928View attachment 3103930
View attachment 3103934View attachment 3103931View attachment 3103933View attachment 3103936View attachment 3103938View attachment 3103937

I let the 3 eight week olds hang out with the flock at the same time but they also keep to themselves. As we all know integration takes time! Not quite sure where I’m going to put Hotaru now that she is a he!😊

View attachment 3103952View attachment 3103951View attachment 3103953

Aww what great pictures! Everyone is looking so lovely, I still can't wait to see what little Hotaru matures into! 😍

So, a turn of events has happened this week. My only two silkie hens that are laying currently have decided to go broody! It was first Snow and then the next day Fluff n Nutter. The fact about broodiness being contagious is definitely true! They both are sharing either six or seven eggs. I'm going out of town this weekend so I'm hoping they'll be alright and get along. I think they'll be fine though. They are officially broody buddies and mommas!

Aww what cuties! I hope everything goes well with them as well. 🥰

Gotcha
I keep takin mine ice cube treats couple times a day that has different kinds of berries in em but they still panting.
What's everyone else doin for their hot babies?!

I provide shade only. when extremely hot I provide a bigger shallow container so that they can have a bath like ducks, lol. I don't remember if silkies did that but my other breeds loved taking a bath. I also water their run and they enjoy to have a dust/mud bath too.

I let Molly step out with the 9 partridge silkie chicks she's raising. Well 2 of the chicks are hers as they came from blue/green eggs. She's 3/4 silkie. I hope both of hers are girls because she's the best mom I've had. She's very people friendly which makes dealing with chicks easy as she brings them over to me.

20220512_154434.jpg

I let Molly step out with the 9 partridge silkie chicks she's raising. Well 2 of the chicks are hers as they came from blue/green eggs. She's 3/4 silkie. I hope both of hers are girls because she's the best mom I've had. She's very people friendly which makes dealing with chicks easy as she brings them over to me.

View attachment 3105027
Omg so precious!!!

View attachment 3105027
Oh she is beautiful!!! U have to keep us updated on her babies as they growout!

I have a solid roof, so thats helpful. The sheet is a bandaid until i move the retractable shade from my patio to the chicken run. It has uv blocking, but breathes and is for cooling. I really need it just for the summer.

For the winter, i think ill get some clear shower curtains or greenhouse vinyl and install grommets on them so I can wrap the whole run. Its typically warm, but freezing cold snaps and weird weather seem to be the norm everywhere anymore.
Oh fancy! Retractable shade!

View attachment 3105027
Oh so cute :love

Back
Top Bottom