Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
my silkies are on strike. no eggs. mother hen hasn't laid since december. it is really hot here, could that be the reason?

Hmmm the heat definitely might be affecting things but that is a long time with no laying. How much protein do they get? I've heard of increasing protein helping with laying with silkies. They seem to need a bit higher protein than a lot of breeds.

I had 3 of the crazies out today... Elsa did some chasing, only one feather pull.. but i noticed she was possessive of me if the others got too close.. but Betty and Esmeralda are my cat chickens, they like to walk around my feet.

Elsa ended up jumping into my lap and falling asleep 🥺 shes so miserable in chicken prison, and she doesn't want to be around the other chickens. I'm thinking about giving her a bath and bringing her back inside the house to live. Maybe. It's kind of a pain.. but we will see. But reintegrating her w the new chickens isn't going to happen.

Hmmm the heat definitely might be affecting things but that is a long time with no laying. How much protein do they get? I've heard of increasing protein helping with laying with silkies. They seem to need a bit higher protein than a lot of breeds.

I haven't changed their feed. in winter they laid well.

Well I rehomed Grayson & Zoe...and 5 babies from last hatch.
I'm back to 4 in the big coop. It's a lot quieter now. Neighbors will definitely be happier! Hum🤨
I'm glad they went to a good home not too far away.
Hate saying goodbye!
This is an adventure though!

I should say goodbye too to some of my chickens and maybe all (6) of my geese but I cannot make that decision yet :oops:

:celebrate

First and foremost - ABSOLUTELY NO HATING ON SILKIES ALLOWED!!! If you aren’t here to support our fuzzy friends, don’t respond. :)

Silkies get a bad rap for the following:
"Looks like a dust mop"
"Too hard to maintain"
"Poor immune system"
"Dumber than rocks"
"0 predator awareness"
And oh, so much more.

Well my friends - I thought so too, until I actually got silkies for myself. These are some of the most wonderful birds out there.

I’ve found them to be highly heat tolerant, wonderful mothers, having the strongest immune systems in my Bantam flock, GREAT LAYERS (that’s right folks), adorable as all get out, and more. :D

I currently have 9 silkies - and my rooster has been nothing but a gentleman to his ladies. They free range daily and I’ve not had a silkie get killed by a predator yet. My hens average 5 eggs a week - not too bad for a silkie, eh? :)

Most of the time, these silkie haters haven’t even owned the breed, but rather pretend they know everything. :lol:

So... let the fun begin! Support our silkies! :woot

Pictures always welcome. :)

Be mindful, and respect others...

Off-topic discussions are allowed, though try to maintain the subject of silkies.

-Kayla-
my silkies are def handsome. but they dont seem like the bantams i expected. nor do they have the temperment i expected from them. I dont think i have pure bred silkies from TSC. their starting to show thier comb differences and the ears are starting to turn vibrant. Love them but i got so many males they are about to be the rare item in my first flock.

my silkies are def handsome. but they dont seem like the bantams i expected. nor do they have the temperment i expected from them. I dont think i have pure bred silkies from TSC. their starting to show thier comb differences and the ears are starting to turn vibrant. Love them but i got so many males they are about to be the rare item in my first flock.

welcome! pics?

Back
Top Bottom