Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters

Attachments

• Silkie2-2.jpg
    Silkie2-2.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Silkie1-2.jpg
    Silkie1-2.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Silkie3-1.jpg
    Silkie3-1.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 2
:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit
I was checking on my chickens this arvo and found Chickaletta had only 5 chicks out of 6 with her! I went looking for the lost chick and it was somehow on the other side of the fence, dead, with stomach bits hanging out!! :hitpoor thing! Don't know what happened! Something must have grabbed it and taken it over the fence as the fence holes are only tiny. .. Maybe a neighbor's cat? Or something hunting during the day since winter is coming? A bird? What would leave it like play with it and not eat it? 😟

I was checking on my chickens this arvo and found Chickaletta had only 5 chicks out of 6 with her! I went looking for the lost chick and it was somehow on the other side of the fence, dead, with stomach bits hanging out!! :hitpoor thing! Don't know what happened! Something must have grabbed it and taken it over the fence as the fence holes are only tiny. .. Maybe a neighbor's cat? Or something hunting during the day since winter is coming? A bird? What would leave it like play with it and not eat it? 😟
domestic animals only in my opinion other than a wild animal with many many kills. got a co worker who had to bury 32 chicks in 2 weeks. i was confused how they lost that many birds but i figured they just didnt even try to secure them or upgrade the chicken tractor to protect them,.

domestic animals only in my opinion other than a wild animal with many many kills. got a co worker who had to bury 32 chicks in 2 weeks. i was confused how they lost that many birds but i figured they just didnt even try to secure them or upgrade the chicken tractor to protect them,.
Exactly... all my neighbors just let their pets and chickens out with no protection, because nothing has happened... YET. But another neighbor (we're all one home after another, small cul-de-sac) regularly traps skunks, raccoons, and.... something else, can't remember the third. Plus we have lots of hawks. And then there's the cats, and dogs who dig out and escape.

Exactly... all my neighbors just let their pets and chickens out with no protection, because nothing has happened... YET. But another neighbor (we're all one home after another, small cul-de-sac) regularly traps skunks, raccoons, and.... something else, can't remember the third. Plus we have lots of hawks. And then there's the cats, and dogs who dig out and escape.
Possums? They are thrifty animals.

I'm so sorry!! It does sound like a cat.. they do that with the wild birds too.. kill for play, but not food. Chickaletta did a good job protecting the rest of her brood!!

I should say goodbye too to some of my chickens and maybe all (6) of my geese but I cannot make that decision yet :oops:
I hear ya...and I would rather not! I would LUV to keep em all!!! But I don't have room, not supposed to have roos, and I need to try and stick to a goal to help keep me in check.

Back
Top Bottom