Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Hello Silkie friends! Looks like I have quite a bit of catching up to do again! We’re on page 1000 now, can you guys believe it?!🤣
Hatched 9 chicks two days ago and decided to keep this very pale blue one and had to keep one more to keep it company! You all know how that goes…
Decided for the first time ever to see if I can get a broody to raise them! Little Himawari here has been broody for over two months so we thought we would give it a try. Looks like she’s doing well so far. She seemed a bit confused at first and the chicks also weren’t quite sure what to make of her, but I think it’s going to work out. A few photos attached!🥰
005B6FB9-9953-4200-8C8A-F6256FC5C504.jpeg
0BB51E68-C6B4-41D3-B4B8-B7E14FC592D2.jpeg
98FE2E8D-72C6-41BD-83F7-C0BF9940FAB0.jpeg
AB0380BC-4EC3-45DD-8E94-3B2DCBEBB995.jpeg
36F63E43-0573-456E-B1C0-C5F207F6C204.jpeg

Hello Silkie friends! Looks like I have quite a bit of catching up to do again! We’re on page 1000 now, can you guys believe it?!🤣
Hatched 9 chicks two days ago and decided to keep this very pale blue one and had to keep one more to keep it company! You all know how that goes…
Decided for the first time ever to see if I can get a broody to raise them! Little Himawari here has been broody for over two months so we thought we would give it a try. Looks like she’s doing well so far. She seemed a bit confused at first and the chicks also weren’t quite sure what to make of her, but I think it’s going to work out. A few photos attached!🥰View attachment 3163402View attachment 3163401View attachment 3163400View attachment 3163399View attachment 3163398
What a sweet mama!! She's doing a great job.. and what beautiful babies!! 😍

Decided for the first time ever to see if I can get a broody to raise them! Little Himawari here has been broody for over two months so we thought we would give it a try. Looks like she’s doing well so far. She seemed a bit confused at first and the chicks also weren’t quite sure what to make of her, but I think it’s going to work out. A few photos attached!🥰View attachment 3163402View attachment 3163401View attachment 3163400View attachment 3163399View attachment 3163398
So precious! Himawari is doing well!
I wanna do that once Daisy and Lizzie get older!!!

Great job! Glad to see things are working out.

As others have mentioned size of the chicks, so I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth on the subject. In observing chick growth over the last two years, I noticed chicks don't increase in size much until about the 3rd or 4th week.. They are too busy using energy to get wing and tail feathers, followed by body feathers. When the body feathers start coming in, they aren't nearly as long or strong as wing and tail feathers so probably don't take as much energy and nutrition to grow thereby leaving more for body weight and growth.
This year is the first year I've had broody hens finish the job. Something I've noticed about the chicks they are raising is that the chicks are 10x more active than brooder chicks, if not more. All that running around is using up energy and the nutrition they get from approximately the same amount of food (crops can only hold so much, and I doubt digestion increases in speed between the two groups), hence the slower growth of mamma raised babies.
Any ideas on this?

Back
Top Bottom