Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Oh i like the white one w splashes 😍
Two bad you aren't closer.. I also have 5 17 weeks old blue splashes.. I'm keeping Eeny & Meine as they haven't started developing any streamers... Meeny, Moe and Minnie are looking like males at this point..:-(
Some chicks in the photos are duplicates... haven't had a chance to separate them and do pics of each one. Then once I get in the house it's hard to tell who's who.
This is definitely Eeny or it Meeny... lol
20220809_112836.jpg
20220809_113103.jpg
20220809_113128.jpg

Two bad you aren't closer.. I also have 5 17 weeks old blue splashes.. I'm keeping Eeny & Meine as they haven't started developing any streamers... Meeny, Moe and Minnie are looking like males at this point..:-(
Some chicks in the photos are duplicates... haven't had a chance to separate them and do pics of each one. Then once I get in the house it's hard to tell who's who.
This is definitely Eeny or it Meeny... lolView attachment 3217142View attachment 3217144View attachment 3217145
Well if i ever hit the road to go camping in your direction, ill see who's available for the picking!!

My new boy, Popcorn (that's what the owner had named him so we'll just stick with that)
He's a keeper! Such a friendly boy. So far I have just introduced him behind a fence. Hens have checked him out but nobody seems concerned so I may put him in the coop tonight and see how he goes. He's only 4 months old so maybe they don't see him as a threat.
Any ideas what offspring he may produce if I pair him with one of my orange girls? More orange babies!? 🧡 If I pair him with others of mine is it likely outcome could be anything with some orange leakage?
IMG_20220810_131853.jpg
IMG_20220810_132145.jpg

IMG_20220810_132336.jpg

One 4m old cockerel (above pic) of mine had a look but no problems.

IMG_20220810_134034.jpg

The ladies gathered round 😅
IMG_20220810_133855.jpg
IMG_20220810_133646.jpg
IMG_20220810_132644.jpg

My new boy, Popcorn (that's what the owner had named him so we'll just stick with that)
He's a keeper! Such a friendly boy. So far I have just introduced him behind a fence. Hens have checked him out but nobody seems concerned so I may put him in the coop tonight and see how he goes. He's only 4 months old so maybe they don't see him as a threat.
Any ideas what offspring he may produce if I pair him with one of my orange girls? More orange babies!? 🧡 If I pair him with others of mine is it likely outcome could be anything with some orange leakage?
View attachment 3217779View attachment 3217780
View attachment 3217781

View attachment 3217782
The ladies gathered round 😅View attachment 3217783View attachment 3217784View attachment 3217785

What is he genetically? Looks rather like the orange variant that pops up in partridge silkies. That would help understand what he'd sire.

This is Gengis Pumpkin one of my first partridge silkies. He's that orange variant. He terrorized all other breeds of chicken. He liked to beat up my ameraucana roosters. Taught his sons his evil ways as well until I began to raised them in a different pen.

He had some nice offspring other than the light comb. Only about 25% of them came out orange. I still have a couple of his daughters even though they are old.

pumpkin_the_silkie_by_seerisil_d7mup8y-fullview.jpg
fragrant_chicken_by_seerisil_dae1rg1-fullview.jpg

View attachment 3217781

View attachment 3217782
The ladies gathered round 😅View attachment 3217783View attachment 3217784View attachment 3217785
What a sweet boy!!! Love his comb. I'm so happy you got him!

View attachment 3217781

View attachment 3217782
Such pretty babies!
Is that a blue girl there in the middle? She's got some splash looking hackles...just gorgeous girl!

What is he genetically? Looks rather like the orange variant that pops up in partridge silkies. That would help understand what he'd sire.

This is Gengis Pumpkin one of my first partridge silkies. He's that orange variant. He terrorized all other breeds of chicken. He liked to beat up my ameraucana roosters. Taught his sons his evil ways as well until I began to raised them in a different pen.

He had some nice offspring other than the light comb. Only about 25% of them came out orange. I still have a couple of his daughters even though they are old.

View attachment 3217830View attachment 3217831
Gorgeous!

This is definitely Eeny or it Meeny... lolView attachment 3217142View attachment 3217144View attachment 3217145
My first Silkies were splash! They are too cute!

So one group of my Silkies, my reds, tend to lay their eggs on the ground in the muddy run. It's rained a good bit here recently but even when it's not muddy I'd prefer for them to lay in their coop. Is there any way to train them in how to do that?
Pick up a few eggs and put them where you want them to lay... Worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom